Mask leak issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexdives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So far I have tried a Cressi A1 and an Atomics Viper Frameless. In both cases I get a bit of a slow leak that seems to be coming from my lip area. I am cleanshaven. It doesn't fill the mask, just annoying as I am constantly doing a minor "clear". I have tried tightening, loosening etc. It never fills the mask it's just a bit of annoying water at the bottom of the mask unless I look down then a bit of a water runs up the glass
Just wondering if this is just a normal thing or if I have not found the right mask yet. I do have a wide nose

Even my favourite mask leaks occasionally if I did not :
1. Cleanse my face with mild soap thoroughly. Sweat is no good for my mask.
2. Wash the skirt of the mask with mild detergent regularly.

I suspect the facial grease or grime is the culprit.

Have you tried placing the mask strap in slightly different places on the back of your head?

Also, don't smile when diving, no mattet how much you're enjoying yourself. :wink:

Have you tried placing the mask strap in slightly different places on the back of your head?

Also, don't smile when diving, no mattet how much you're enjoying yourself. :wink:
I agree with this. If I place my strap above my ears I get a small amount of water trickle in. Placing it over my ears stops the trickle. I also have to have the strap snug.

I have a very thick moustache and I get no leaking whatsoever.

Dow Corning 111 O-Ring Valve Silicone Lubricant & Sealant Scuba 2oz 57g

I have turned a lot of people on to this when boat diving. It has worked for everyone that has tried it.
Without a moustache or beard you just need a little smeared on the sealing edge. Doesn't damage the mask but is a bit of a pain to wipe off your face, (not water or soap soluble).

I have turned a lot of people on to this when boat diving. It has worked for everyone that has tried it.
Without a moustache or beard you just need a little smeared on the sealing edge. Doesn't damage the mask but is a bit of a pain to wipe off your face, (not water or soap soluble).
Ordered, looks like it's worth a try!

I agree with this. If I place my strap above my ears I get a small amount of water trickle in. Placing it over my ears stops the trickle. I also have to have the strap snug.
Over your ears? Have to admit I have not tried that!

How do you get it off then?

Back
Top Bottom