Mask is leaking, HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oharag

Reaction score
Okay I went to a LDS to get fitted for a mask. I have a rather large round face (fat? Maybe :D). I tried on two types of masks. The LDS stated that the Sherwood Madnum 2 fit the best. LDS stated it looked like a good seal all around my face. So I bought the mask.

While diving in the pool during my OW training I felt the mask was flooding too much. I decided to tighten the mask one notch both sides. I still get some water in the mask, but after observing my teacher's (and others) mask it seems a little water at the bottom is going to happen.

Well, I've since graduated to Quarries and The Ocean recently. What I find very distrubing is when I look down to my SPG clipped to a D-Ring on my right side my mask floods. Not only is it troubling because I can not see the SPG through the water in my mask, it's also causing me to clear my mask constantly. I make sure the mask is not sealing against my hood during the dives.

What's the deal here? Is it a poorly fitting mask? Is it too tight? Too loose? I do not feel mask squeeze down at 122 ft recently. Obviously, I'm going to relocated my SPG where I can view it without having to turn my head downward towards my chest.

oharag

The mask should be able to remain affixed to your face for a reasonably long time (twenty seconds would probably good enough...) from pressure alone, without having for you to constantly keep breathing inward through your nose.

Having a mask strap pulled too tight will often cause it to leak at the upper right and upper left "corners".

I'd advise you to take it back to the LDS and ask them to fit you again. :)

I would say you have a bad fit or a leak in the mask.

Try this first. Take a mouth piece and put it in your mouth then place the mask onyour face without the strap. Push in slightly and release. (do not breath during this test)

did it stick inplace until you exhaled? if not you have a leak somewhere.

Now fill the sink, tub, or large bowel with water. Slowly lower the mask lens into the water making sure the water does not come over the skirt.

There are two common area for a leak to go unnoticed. The area where the lens locks onto the skirt and the area where the nose pocket meets the frame. does water enter the mask?

If not it is how the mask seals to your face. do You have smile lines at the temple or cornes of the mouth? Look at the edges of the mask while you have the mouth piece in your mouth.

I typically do not have any water in my mask unless I intentionally add it. Start whith the above and let us know we will try to figure it out.

Hallmac

Hallmac is right on.....
most people buy a mask ....or rather try on a mask then buy it...by testing it without a mouth piece in their mouth.

get your reg and go stand in front of a mirror. Look at your face....put the reg in your mouth....does your face look the same??? no it doesnt.....so should a mask that fit the first face you looked at ...fit the one youre looking at now??? nope.

not meaning to be sarcastic really....but you cant get even a good idea if a mask will work if you dont try it on with out a reg or snorkel in your mouth.

oharag once bubbled...
Okay I went to a LDS to get fitted for a mask. I have a rather large round face (fat? Maybe :D). I tried on two types of masks. The LDS stated that the Sherwood Madnum 2 fit the best. LDS stated it looked like a good seal all around my face. So I bought the mask.

oharag

Knowing how an LDS works, let me quess. The Sherwood Magnum 2 was the more expensive of the two mask?

Question 2: How can anyone other than yourself tell you how a mask fits? Chapter 1 of "GO DIVE" PADI OW book states how to pick a mask.

Sounds like LDS money making procedure number 12.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom