mask is hurting my nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

razorseal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When I go diving, the air in the mask keeps wanting to force the mask upward, which ends up pulling on my nose... this even happens on like REAL shallow (20 feet) dives, it comes to a point where my eyes will tear because it pulls on the bottom cartilige of my nose... I might get another mask, but if I think about it, this problem can't really be cured with a new mask since they all have air in them, what can I do about this? it is killing me! I might be going on the eagle this weekend (90-110 dive by islamorada) and last thing I need is to have my ears tear up because the mask wants to pull my nose out of my face... I do equalize the mask, but it keeps pulling my nose! (i purge it by ya know, like slighty pulling on it etc) am I doing it wrong or something?

Hi razorseal,

Fist of all I doubt that it's the buoyancy of the air volume that is your problem. I am assuming that you are not wearing some sort of giant vintage fish bowl.

I doubt that getting a purge mask would solve anything. I would only expect it to add another point of discomfort for your nose.

What you describe sounds like mask squeeze. It is relieved by exhaling through your nose to re-inflate your mask. Generally this happens automatically with air freely passing from your nose as pressure increases with depth. Pulling on the mask will do no good and if your nose is congested might make it worse.

That brings me to congestion. While diving the nose can sometimes load up with mucus preventing natural equalization and allowing a mask squeeze. This does not mean you have a cold, sometimes just the cold water on your forehead can bring it on. The collapsing mask may be also cause your symptoms. While diving press a finger against one nostril and blow your nose. When that side is clear repeat on the other. Now a gentle exhale through your nose will equalize the mask.

A lot of bizarre mask behavior ends up being air trapped in the hood. A bubble will form then it tugs on the mask strap causing a range of problems. Is your hood vented? If it is not then get a nail (I use a #6 finish ground to a blunt end) hold it with vice grips and heat it cherry red. Plunge it through the hood in a few spots on the centerline up where the top of the hood will be while diving. The nail will melt through the nylon and neoprene fusing any loose ends. Do this where you have good ventilation, the smoke is nasty.

I hope this helps. Do not make a challenging dive until this is solved. Big trouble happens when small problems combine.

Pete

It could be mask squeeze, but I think that would show up as a uniform squeeze around your mask skirt's perimeter.

I think it's just plain a matter of good mask fit. I had the exact same problem with my previous mask, and it was really uncomfortable; the problem disappeared when I got my current mask. Each person has a different face shape.

May not even be the mask itself; it may be the positioning of the mask strap, and the direction it's pulling.

Mask strap positioning is easy to play around with. Fit of the mask itself is tougher... you can get an idea with dry fitting, but you won't know for sure until you dive with it.

In any case, like spectrum wrote, it's not anything to do with the mask's buoyancy.

--Marek

I experience close to the same thing, however, in my case it's the mouth piece on the regulator pushing the mask up. I don.t have a huge amount of clearance between my upper lip & my nose. I know for certain, in my case, it's not squeeze on the mask because 1. I'm a horrible nose breather & 2. my mask constantly fogs because I breathe into it a bunch. This used to be much worse when I had a mask that had a purge in it (under the nose), I have since gone to a mask without a purge & while it has helped, it hasn't completely gotten rid of the issue.

Marek K:
May not even be the mask itself; it may be the positioning of the mask strap, and the direction it's pulling.

Mask strap positioning is easy to play around with. Fit of the mask itself is tougher... you can get an idea with dry fitting, but you won't know for sure until you dive with it.

In any case, like spectrum wrote, it's not anything to do with the mask's buoyancy.

--Marek

I think that Marek's right - My money's on placement of the mask strap as well. Play around with it and see, if that makes any difference.

The strap placement and the size (vertical length) of the nose pocket are definitely contributors here. I have the same issue sometimes and when I do, I have to place the straps so my ears are under them. I need to find a mask with taller nose pocket.

I vote for the mask strap position as well. My girl friend had the exact same problem with her new mask in Belize. Once she moved the strap, the problem went away.

Strap placement can be crucial for proper fit. It should be right around the largest part of your noggin almost level. Lower and it will pull the mask down, higher and it will pull it up giving the pignose syndrome.

ok, sounds good... i'll pull the strap lower next time see if that helps.

thanks guys!

the mask fits my face well, so i'm not sure if its a fitment issue, but I will lower the strap next time, and losen it a bit (I think its pretty tight right now actually, I can't remember)

just did a quick test fit and lowering the strap to like over my ears and loosing it up a tad seemed to help alot, I could feel it without even going in the water, hopefully this will be the issue :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom