Mask Implosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davyboy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I would just like to draw everyones attention to a nasty situation which I had recently. I was boat diving off the east coast of South Africa in a spot call Aliwal Shoal. Had just descended to +/- 17m and my mask had filled, so I cleared it. Upon sealing it back to my face the single lens imploded in my face. Luckily I had my eyes closed and suffered no more than some cuts to my nose, eyelids and eyebrows, which although not that bad covered my face in blood when I surfaced. Added to this I had lost my buddy as his tank o-ring blew and he was already on the surface. I made an uncontrolled ascent, luckily had only been down about 7 minutes. That experience taught me one thing that although you can check and double check your gear ALWAYS ensure your mask is of good quality (the best you can afford) and make sure it is propoerly stored and not bumped or damaged before diving.

It's very, very strange that a mask would "implode", because the air with which you clear it is at ambient pressure. Sounds like it was cracked before it ever went underwater. Glad to hear you didn't have an eye injury when it actually broke.

A broken mask AND a blown TANK o-ring??? Murphy was working overtime with you guys . . .

BTW, there's another lesson here -- Work on coping with a flooded or lost mask without losing buoyancy control. Although having a mask shatter on my face would definitely give me a turn, I'd like to think that all the work I've done on swimming mask-off would keep me from blowing to the surface if it happened. Later on in a deeper dive, that could have been quite dangerous.

That experience taught me one thing that although you can check and double check your gear ALWAYS ensure your mask is of good quality (the best you can afford) and make sure it is propoerly stored and not bumped or damaged before diving.

Don't rely on high cost brand names to be failure proof. I've had 2 Scubapro frameless masks fail at the seal between the skirt and the lens. But the failure were graceful with just managable leaks.

I carry a spare mask - one of those extra things I figured I'd never need. I also practice switching to it 'cause there's no use bring a thing you aren't able to easily use if you need it.

Anyway, one day I did need it - or, actually, my buddy needed it. He was clearing his mask and the strap broke. No problem, I just handed him my spare and we continued the dive.

Of course if I'd blown an O ring and already split on him, I wouldn't have been there to help.

Glad you guys ended up OK with your situation.

Awap,
FYI - I have sent a few of those back to S/P in the past and they have replaced them for
a "simulated repair fee" of $25 + s/h. Haven't sent any back recently, but even though they were
past warranty, they took care of it.

Terri

Wow. I agree with TSandM. Mask imploding? Interesting. Yeah, blown o-ring, mask implosion. Ouch. Call it a day and try again tomorrow.

BTW, there's another lesson here -- Work on coping with a flooded or lost mask without losing buoyancy control. Although having a mask shatter on my face would definitely give me a turn, I'd like to think that all the work I've done on swimming mask-off would keep me from blowing to the surface if it happened. Later on in a deeper dive, that could have been quite dangerous.

Learning how to do a controlled ascent without a mask is something every diver should practice doing. Periodically, I go thru some basic skills that I learned in my OW and AOW courses like removing and replacing my mask, removing and replacing my BC, and so on just to keep these skills sharp.

I think I'll add doing a controlled ascent without a mask to that list. It's a skill I might need. Thanks for the insight.

First I'd like to thank you for posting your experience, glad that you are okay!!

Mask imploding, possible, perhaps he needed to equalize the mask before it imploded.

Second, I'd like to address the buddy issue. I hope that in the future if your buddy has to call the dive for ANY reason, you'll stay his buddy and call the dive with him. This situation could have ended up much more serious for either of you and had you had a buddy, he or you could have helped out. (He could have guided you to the surface and you could have donated air.) From what you posted, you weren't really diving with a buddy, you had two divers diving solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom