Mask Fogging due to oil in face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasoncassanova

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just thinking on how to solve mask fogging and there were a lot of reasons I came up with why our masks fog...

1. heat coming out of our eyes or "sweaty eyes".

2. chemicals that were not washed away from the lens properly when first bought.

3. oil from our face that when we sweat runs to the lens and that oil sticks on the lens that even if we do mask clearing, it would not be enough, that is why we rub shampoo or anti fog before another dive. so do you agree that it would also help to avoid putting sun block near our eyes or wash our face properly before a dive? :D

Fog is tiny water droplets condensating on the cold glass lens of the mask. Anti fog, baby shampoo or any other remidy works by breaking the surface tension of the glass by providing a bumpy surface compared to glass which is perfectly flat. The water vapor cannot fog the treated glass because of the non flat surface so larger droplets are formed instead. The larger droplets are able to run down the glass instead of just sitting on it blocking your veiw.

So what your saying is if you have excessive oil in your skin you can put a layer of oil on your lense and create a flat surface for fog to sit on again? Perhaps you could set up some sort of experiment to test your theory?

I've noticed when I have a lot of sunscreen on it's worse so I would probably be inclined to agree without further information. Happens diving or snorkeling...

The "fog" in masks is caused by condensation which in turn is caused by temperature fluctuation. It is true that an oil film will help the water molecules adhere to the glass. As for sweaty eyes...that's just gross!
Get Wet!

Old dive habits die hard. For over 30 years, I've washed my face with sea water at the same time I rinse out my mask. This helps clean any skin oil / sweat off my face before putting on the mask, and at least seems to help with fogging... probably for the reasons already mentioned, if the skin oils get on the glass, it is probably more prone to fogging..... and washing my face pre-dive REALLY helps prevent the "sting" from skin oils running into your eyes if you sweat during the dive.

Oh, and I just use spit to defog the mask :wink:

Best wishes.

I found that sunscreen (at least the rub on kind) messes up my mask seal, letting in bits of water. So I wear a big brimmed hat until the diving is over, then apply the sunscreen.

Old dive habits die hard. For over 30 years, I've washed my face with sea water at the same time I rinse out my mask. This helps clean any skin oil / sweat off my face before putting on the mask, and at least seems to help with fogging... probably for the reasons already mentioned, if the skin oils get on the glass, it is probably more prone to fogging..... and washing my face pre-dive REALLY helps prevent the "sting" from skin oils running into your eyes if you sweat during the dive.

Best wishes.

It also cools your face down so there's less of a temp difference. I used have a hell of a problem with a fogging mask. Even using sea drops sometimes didn't help, but splashing your face with water as you rinse your mask is the secret IMO.

Oh, and no more sea drops, spit works just fine now.

The "fog" in masks is caused by condensation which in turn is caused by temperature fluctuation. It is true that an oil film will help the water molecules adhere to the glass. As for sweaty eyes...that's just gross!
Get Wet!

what i've understood is that sweaty eyes means that there is steam or heat that comes out of your eyes if your body comes to a certain temperature, so that heat or steam gets trapped inside the mask when you dive and it causes fogging of the lens.

Best wishes.

Old school or not it works. I do much the same and learned it back in 1969 when I started diving. Yep, clean the face with good ole sea water. Spit? You bet! And they are both free and always available. Nothing extra to carry around.

Now, if I could only figure out how to spit in my mask while underwater. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Now, if I could only figure out how to spit in my mask while underwater. Haven't figured that one out yet.

I have been told that removing your mask underwater and licking the inside of the lens will work. Haven't tried it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom