Mask flooding issue--need recommendation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SusanR

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Help...I have a serious problem with my mask flooding. I've tried the Mares X-Vision LiquidSkin and Oceanic ION 3.

I (and a few divers who have seen the flooding in action) think the problem is that I have very deep laugh lines around my mouth, so if I move my face at all, they crease and the mask floods.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a mask that works?

How tight do you have the strap?

Some times when people have a mask leak they tighten the strap. What can happen is if the strap is to tight it will cruse the silicon seals to the point where they roll over. Your strap should only be tight enough to just hold the mask on your face.

Or maybe it's simply the wrong shape for your face. Go to a decent LDS (can't do this over the internet!) and try quite a few different models on. Then try your preferred ones in a pool.

You probably just need to find a mask that fits you. Like Peterbj7 said, just go to a dive shop and try a bunch on. Put it on your face without the strap, suck in through your nose and see if the mask stays on. If it does, then get it.

Yup, it's like Cinderella looking for the magic slipper. You gotta find the right one.

Be sure to have something in your mouth regulator or at least a snorkel when evaluating fits since it can change things.

I had the same problem for years. after a box of masks later i got a atomic frameless mask and no more problems.

You may also find a better fit in Cressi-Sub masks ( I did ) . NOVA Dive shop, in Sterling, is the closest to you that I know of.

Some ideas,
A tight strap might keep things dryer, but leads to discomfort. Loose strap will generally allow more water in when shallow, problem lessened at depth.

Is water in your mask a discomfort?

Nothing beats an in water trial. Bring an armfull of masks to the bottom of the pool.

My goofy face fits best in a Tusa.

I have the Cressi Focus mask, it fits almost all the people that have tried it on. Try that out.

I'd definitely have to agree with Spectrum on the Cinderella analogy. The only real solution is to head to the LDS and try every mask you can get your hands on (with a snorkel in your mouth).

I had a similar problem due to having very deep laugh lines as well. I bought the Mares X-Vision Liquidskin as well and still had leaks. I also had the same problems with the regular X-vision, the hydrooptix (so sad, because it is an incredible mask otherwise), Tusa Liberator and a few other masks as well. After going through about 4 masks that seemed to fit in the shop and after trying a couple of dozen masks in every shop I could find, I finally came across the Cressi Big Eyes.

The Big Eyes fit me perfectly, laugh lines and all, and cost less than $30. Four dives so far and literally not a single drop has leaked in, so it looks like I may have finally found my slipper :). I actually ordered two extras just to have in case I lose one or, knock on wood, they stop making it. It goes to show that whatever tech or new feature a mask has, you just can't beat a proper fit.

It took me a while to figure it out, but there is absolutely no correlation between price and mask fit. Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom