Mask Fitment Guide or Resource?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik 1

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any kind of a resource that compares the fit of various masks so if you have one that fits you, you can find others that fit comparably?

That would be almost impossible to do. The molding process has variations, variations in the silicone, facial variations, and other factors all come into play. The ONLY good way to make sure a mask fits the same as another brand or style is to try it on.

And dive it, if it fits in the store it still may not be right in the water.
I have a whole box of masks to prove it !

A very interesting question and I am minded to agree with the other responders who draw attention to the infinite variation in facial characteristics as well as the inexactness of the manufacturing process, both of which can never guarantee a perfect fit for everybody when it comes to masks. The descriptor "fits all/most faces" should be banned from the vocabulary of diving gear retailers and it will always be up to the individual to try on masks both in and out of the water when seeking a reasonable match between mask and face.

However, I've made it my business over recent years to research what information is provided by retailers around the world about the basic gear they sell. I have to say that those operating in the Far East in general and in Japan in particular are much better than their western counterparts when it comes to furnishing mask dimensions that might help would-be online purchasers narrow down their choices.

A good English-language example can be found at
AQA / Gull silicone rubber dive masks, tempered glass lenses for free diving and snorkeling
where there's a table giving the mask height and mask width in millimetres for ten different models made by one Japanese manufacturer. The table comes with a proviso:

The actual mask dimensions vary slightly from one model to the next as shown in the table below. It is recommended that the purchaser compare these dimensions with those of an existing mask that already fits for best results. These masks are also designed for slightly smaller noses than for example European masks. If in doubt, choose a larger size. Mask height is the distance from the outer bottom edge of the mask to the outer upper edge of the mask. Mask width is the distance from the outer edge of one side of the mask to the outer edge of the other side.

I would like to see all sales pitches for diving masks include at least a reference to the skirt height and width, e.g.:
MaskDimsExample.jpg
The example above also provides data on the field of vision and on the inner volume of the mask (145 cc), which would be a help too. For those who would argue that mask dimensions vary from model to model, it is surely possible to provide a tolerance of "plus and minus something" in the figures or to furnish a range of sizes as is done in the case of fins. As I said earlier, it would benefit both sellers and purchasers if some rough measurements were given before ordering masks online.

Last edited:
Is there any kind of a resource that compares the fit of various masks so if you have one that fits you...

Yes. Your face. Take it to a dive shop and try various masks on until you find one that fits.

If that's not an option, buy a wide variety of masks on-line and have them shipped to you. Try them on your face, keep the one that fits, return the rest.

Yes. Your face. Take it to a dive shop and try various masks on until you find one that fits.

If that's not an option, buy a wide variety of masks on-line and have them shipped to you. Try them on your face, keep the one that fits, return the rest.

I almost spat my drink all over my iPad.

Yup. It sure was helpful too.

Sometimes a little absurdity is necessary to make a point.

Take it for what it's worth... but I'll stand by my statement that "your face" is the only meaningful fitment guide to use when buying a mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom