mask fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steadynswangin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I apologize for my ignorance in advance :) I just bought a new framed scuba mask, and although I can't complain about leak/fog (except when I breath thru my nose), every time I reach a certain depth, the bottom skirt begins to slide up and squeeze my nose. I exhale hard with my nose and bring the mask down a bit, but a few minutes later, it slides up again. Is that normal?

You know how when you see people thinking, with a frown
or being generally facially animated thinking about nothing
well when you descend a couple of feet a slight nose exhale
will equalise your mask preventing squeeze, uncomfortable
and going up the air comes out naturally, due to the basics
of physics, that comes with practicing diving around with a
relaxed head and a mask strap not to tight so as to pull the
mask unneccesarily up and around, on your contorted face

as Knowone stated..check where you have your mask strap sitting...probably a lil high, and make sure it is not too tight, pressure keeps the mask in place not tension from the strap.

Also check the tightness of the strap.

Contrary to what you'd think, you want the strap LOOSE. A tight strap will often prevent a proper mask seal.

Not unwise to say but if you place the strap a little higher on the back of your head it should alleviate some of the discomfort that you are experiencing by making the mask fit your face better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom