Mask De-fog...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the years I have tried many defogs, bottled spit, baby shampoo, dish detergent, even real spit. I keep returning to my favorite--toothpaste. A $1 tube lasts me about 200 dives and I never have a fogging problem.

Incidentally, while we're on the subject, few things on a dive boat are more disgusting than a person using real spit as a defog and then rinsing his/her mask in the communal rinse bucket.

I use baby shampoo, also.

I used to spit into my mask, but I found the tobacco juice had a tendency to discolor the lens.

the K

I'm a defog guy but spits always there in a pinch!

I use the 500 psi, but do resort to spit when bottle is too far away. If I ever finish my bottle of 500psi (does that stuff regenerate between dives?) I like the toothpaste method, tried it once ..the sensation of diving with a cool-minty smelling mask was quite refreshing :D

I use toothpaste. If it were me, I'd tell my son to do what the instructor tells him while taking the course. Then once he has his card he can defog his mask any way he pleases.

The goal is to keep the mask from fogging. I can't see that it's particularly important how that is achieved, just so long as it is.

I like the McNett Sea Gold the best. It's a thick gel type. Works better, lasts longer, and I'm with Keyshunter... I don't need a bunch of people spitting around... Not really the most attractive attribute of the sport.

I use a Widolf DR-600 mask with my rebreather. Spit will just not cut it in this application. The 500 PSI stuff works better than anything out there for tough mask de-fogging jobs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom