Mask De-fog...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My son is getting certified, I think a proud moment in my life (means I got a buddy I actually have to watch).

Since I gave up teaching, I tried to stay out of the PADI-bashing, since I was able to teach for just about everyone but PADI. Living on the lovely Island of Oahu, the only agency is PADI, so I'm learning to adjust. HOWEVER, I do NOT want this to turn into a PADI BASHING THREAD (can't believe I just said that)!!!

I was kinda concerned with one thing... the video says you have to use a commercial de-fog for your masks, and spit only in a pinch.

I am a die-hard spit guy, let me know your thoughts on spit and de-fog. You are not going to change my mind on spit, but I'm just interested on how many people are willing to spend the money on what your body gives you for free.

It does? Guess I haven't watched closely enough. But anywho...

Spit works for me.

I also like baby shampoo diluted - this helps get any dried on gunkies out of the mask/off the lenses. And it's much nicer after you've been eating cookies :wink:

Huck tooey:D

fishb0y:
My son is getting certified, I think a proud moment in my life (means I got a buddy I actually have to watch).

I was kinda concerned with one thing... the video says you have to use a commercial de-fog for your masks, and spit only in a pinch.

The new videos encourage sales to PADI dive centers.

Personally I make my own and tell students I do even though I teach once in a while for a PADI dive center.(and not of spit)

I encourage spit at the lake if the bottled stuff is too far to walk to.

Ron

I gave myself a nasty case of pink-eye from spitting on my dried up mascarra brush. It was a make-up emergency,what can I say? Now I buy Spit in a bottle.

Ron Brandt:
The new videos encourage sales to PADI dive centers.

I think that says it all...

I have and use a defog... seems to hold well when doing multiple dives and I don't have to re-apply or spit in my mask. Just convenient.

However, nothing wrong with spit. I think everyone should be shown how well spit works and then let them decide... This "have to use defog" is baloney...

I use the PSI 500, but know lots of people that spit. Depends on your personal preference. I don't see how a certain diving agency can tell you that you "have" to use a defog. They can't fail you for spitting in your mask. I have heard that the enzyme's in your spit EVENTUALLY break down the silicon skirting. Wish the daughter still liked to dive.

Melissa

I'm with alcina -- $1 a pint from the dollar store, I don't bother diluting it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom