Mask clearing worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've done the mask clear now several times in the confined water dives. I did it correctly at first but now I'm getting water up my nose and throat and briefly choking every time I do it. I've also gotten water in my mouth a couple times somehow, I guess I wasn't biting the reg hard enough. This doesn't happen when I have the mask off--it's when I'm putting it back on. The snorkel is twisting around and getting in the way and making it hard to get the mask back on properly, and then I get water down my throat and choke briefly, then I'm okay. In the pool is one thing, but I don't want to be choking on water at 30 feet and bolting. Are there any tips on how to make sure you don't breathe through your nose by accident? Also I wonder if it would be a better idea to clear the mask while I have it placed on my face but before I put the strap on. thanks in advance

I can tell you what helped me when I first started.

You need to be comfortable without your mask on, once you realise that you can breath and there isn't a rush, it's much easier.

Concentrate on your breathing.
Personally I replace the mask then clear.

Noone likes mask clearing at the start, but it's something you will do regularly, after a while it becomes second nature.

Jump in the water with just your snorkeling stuff on, practice swimming around with water in your mask.
It takes a little while to get used to it, but once you do, you won't even need a mask on anymore. :wink: (wear one anyway, you can see better) :D

Can you swim underwater without snorkel gear? Water on the face is no big deal, right? Well you are better off underwater with scuba gear. Just don't breathe in through your nose.
You should practice this sitting on the bottom of the pool maskless until you feel comfortable. Practice out through the reg and later out through the nose. Always in through the reg.
Important is too relax and soon enough you will master this important skill.

Mask clearing came fairly easily to me, but my wife had quite a bit of trouble with it, so I know what you're going through (if not first hand, then the next best thing).

She worked hard at it on her own time. We went to a local aqua center on several Saturdays between Scuba classes and she practiced in the pool until it became natural.

In addition to the above great suggestions, try practicing like my wife did. She did it over and over and over. Wear your weight belt though, it will help keep you under while you practice.

You also might want to have your dive instructor look at your mask. I can't tell from your description, but if you're having that much trouble, maybe it's not a good mask or a good fit. A quality mask with proper fit can't be emphasized enough.

Believe it or not.....you'll get it eventually and it will become natural. You may never like it, but you'll get it. And trust me, you'll need to know the skill for both safety and comfort reasons.

First of all don't try to clear the mask in a hurry.

Take your time and concentrate on keeping the same breathing rate when removing the mask and yes I'm going to say it .... While clearing the mask. Slow and steady..

try this-- slowly put the mask on and leave the water in it. Once in place complete one complete breath cycle. Then begin clearing by exhaling at the same rate you would through the regulator. Make sure you are looking straight ahead and not slightly up at this point. At the end of your exhale wait half a second before inhaling. This gives your brain a second to switch to mouth breathing. Take a breath in then look towards the point the horizon and the surface meet. This will allow the remaining water to run back towards the skirt and out as you exhale.

Don't try to blow the water out of your mask let the exhaled air do the work. If you blow the water out you lungs will have a tendency to rebound (or suck in a little) drawing in that wonderful and refreshing liquid that make you cough like an engine with a bad plug wire.

Sounds like you figured it out and got comfortable and then got sloppy. Just take your time and you won't have a problem.

Hallmac

First, don't worry. What you're experiencing is normal...a case of task overload. It's a lot at once - you gott'a remember to breath through the mouth, keep the snorkel to the side, place the strap around the back of the head and clear the mask.
Try to simplify it first. Get comfortable breathing underwater without the mask. To do this stand in waist-to-chest deep water in the pool, take the mask off and with your regulator in your mouth close your eyes and put your face in the water. Now just hang out there and breath for a minute or two...don't worry about the mask. Just get comfortable breathing through your mouth without your mask on while you're under water.
Repeat this basic skill a few times, then still standing in the same depth water repeat this skill but put your mask back on.
Hope this helps. You'll do fine!

Until I found a mask that worked for me (in class)I had a heck of a time with getting water in my mask. I found that it actually worked to my advantage, as I was clearing my mask every few minutes. By my 3 class it was second nature to clear my mask very quickly. Just my .02

If the snorkel is what's giving you trouble, ditch it. When I was a student, I thought it was required equipment, but when I actually got out diving on vacation, I noticed that most people didn't have one.

I like having one just in case, so I'll probably put one of those folding snorkels on my wish list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom