Mask and snorkel advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking for both a mask and snorkel that I would like to use for both scuba diving and snorkeling. I do not mind spending extra money for better quality equipment if it makes a difference. Can anyone recommend some brands or models? I am about 6-1 and 165lbs so I am not sure if I need the wide or narrow snorkel.

Thanks in advance!!!

Cressi Matrix and Cressi Gamma. Let me just tell you why:

1. overall fit - super comfortable mask that is easy to adjust and easy to use
2. performance - fit and ease of use make it a great performer
3. quality - fine silicone that is extremely durable
4. design - the key to what makes it great for diving and snorkeling. first, it has a large tear-drop lens that increases your field of vision. second, it sits on your face at a 30-degree (approx) angle, tilting forward to increase the amount of vision you have directly below you. this will help you find things on your bcd if you are diving and will help you keep from having to bury your snorkel (angle keeps you from having to tilt your head so far) while snorkeling.

hope this helps :D

Thanks for the quick reply llqwyd!!!

Are the sizes of the masks pretty general with adjusting the strap or do they need to be sized to fit to your face? Just asking to see if I should consider ordering online or if I should buy from a local store so I can try it on?

Thanks again!!!

do you have a wide face or normal (average? -what the hell is average, anyway)?

wider - you should consider the new big eyes evo (same characteristics of the matrix)
average - matrix should be just right

Buying a mask is all about personal fit. There are many good quality masks out there from reputable manufacturers: Scubapro, Aqualung, Oceanic, Mares, Tusa, Cressi, XSScuba, H2Odysea, Diverite, etc. just to name but a mere few (that's only the tip of the iceburg). There are also many different features available: purge valve, split lens, full frame lens, low volume, prescrition lenses, clear skirt or black skirts, neoprene vs rubber straps, not to mention frame color. There are even masks with built in digital cameras and some with built in dive computers.

You should visit your local dive shops (there are many in LA county) and try on as many masks as possible until you find the one that fits comfortably. You may get lucky with the $35 mask that fits you or you might find that only the $100 mask is the most comfortable...again it is all about the fit.

To verify mask fit, place the mask on your face WITHOUT the strap and suck in through your nose. If you can get a decent suction that holds the mask firmly yet comfortably in place, then it will probably not leak. Then try smiling, squinting etc... the movement that your face muscles would make when placing or removing a regulator/snorkel from your mouth. If smile lines, crinkles, crows feet etc, create a gap, then the mask may leak underwater. Try another one. I tell folks to try them all on, leave the best choices on the counter and then go back and try on the best choices again and again until you finally narrow it down to one.

Most reputable dive shops will let you try it in the pool and exchange it within a few days if there is a fit problem.

There are many shaped masks to fit many different shapes of faces. Some folks need bigger nose pockets, some have prominent foreheads, some have wide faces while others have narrow faces, some faces are long, others are short with very little upper lip space for the mask skirt, some want low volume, others want side-view lenses. Some folks report that black skirts give them a bit of a claustrophic feeling since it limits peripheral vision wanting the extra light that a clear skirt affords, while others prefer the dark skirts for a multitude of reasons. There are as many opinions on masks/snorkels as there are styles & manufacturers and as there are folks on scubaboard. Everyone has their favorites for their own personal reasons.

Snorkels also have a variety of feature to investigate: standard J snorkels, purge valves, semi-dyr, dry, with or without moving parts, folding snorkels, etc...

It's all up to you and what you feel comfortable wearing. The more comfortable you are in your gear, the more you will use it.

Go out and explore your options. Most of your local dive shops folks are knowledgeable on the various features and can explain them to help you make a selection that is appropriate for you and the type of diving you plan on doing.

This is a good explaination from another thread.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/269796-black-vs-clear-silicone-mask.html

fdog posted:
"Black masks improve vision in low light by increasing contrast. They block light coming into the sides of your eyes, and it is easier to discern subtle diferences in shading. The effect is similar to driving into the sunset, and shielding your eyes with your hand.

This is most useful during dives at sunset, or night dives, or deep dives, all where light is low. They are also very popular with underwater photographers, who get big gains in seeing the viewfinder.

Clear masks give you a nice, spacious feeeling, so it's good for claustrophobes. It also increases your peripheral awareness, because although you can't truly see through the sides of the mask, you can see shapes and movement. The cost is a lot of glare, and when you know to look for it, you'll see the reflection of the side of the mask in the faceplate.

<shrugs> It's a tradeoff, both designs have their advantages. As a generality, divers typically start off with a clear mask, and as they pick up a lot of experience, switch to a black one.

Personally, I have a copy of both. I'll use the clear when I have students and want to be very situationally aware of my surroundings, and use the black for everything else."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom