Mask and hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there access to this video? Sounds interesting. I've never seen shore entry in that kind of surf though diving at Palos Verdes off the rocks can be interesting!

Sasquatch:
Is there access to this video? Sounds interesting. I've never seen shore entry in that kind of surf though diving at Palos Verdes off the rocks can be interesting!
I thought I had included a link! It's linked in the first post in this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86119

Christian

OK OK Palos Verdes entries require timing but that looked like pure determination. Great video, thanks for pointing me to the link!

Dave "Sasquatch" Smith

Well I've never had to deal with surf like that, at least not from a shore entry. Boat dives, just jump in and drop to the bottom.

Two items of note, whether they are of interest to you or not depends on you.

First, in one of the first Dorea books, think it's Kevin McMurray's "Deep Descent", the author discusses the manner in which one team wore masks beneath hoods to prevent inadvertant mask loss (due to kicking) while trying to keep the team together in tight places, esp. in low vis.

Anyone who has been in tight places and low vis knows that losing your mask would complicate whatever you tried to do thereafter, and chances of finding your mask again while trying to move with the team and deal with the issues would be statistically pretty slim. (Assuming you didn't have a spare...)

Second, in a number of cave death 'descriptions of the scene' it is noted that the diver was missing a mask. One that I recall more clearly appears in the NACD Journal issue that had Steve Berman's photo on the front, just after Steve died in Ginnie Springs. In the back is a description of a body recovery in which the diver's mask was found some 20-30 feet from the body.

While any conclusion would be speculative, given the fact that emergency response is often a high-stress situation it would seem that losing one's mask while dealing with other issues could only complicate matters further.

If wearing a mask beneath your hood works for you, then great.

Aside from it being one less thing that may go south for you, it isn't likely to impact the team negatively in any significant way.

And some statistics would tend to suggest that doing so might pay dividends should you ever find yourself in tight quarters and low vis, particularly if you're already having a bad day.

FWIW. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom