Mask Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, I need to buy a new mask - lost the old one in the Adaman sea!
Not overly concerned as it wasn't the best fitting mask.

Only restraint is that it needs to accommodate a prescription lens.
The cost of the mask is not a factor - any suggestions?

The Cressi Big Eyes Evolution Crystal, it has the new blend of silicone that will never yellow, and you can put prescription lenses in it

The Cressi Big Eyes Evolution Crystal, it has the new blend of silicone that will never yellow, and you can put prescription lenses in it

From the manufacturer: Exceptional resistance to ageing and yellowing over time...--- Does not mean "never"...Get your facts straight. Thats like saying your stainless steel knives will never rust in saltwater... LMFAO!

Hi everyone, I need to buy a new mask - lost the old one in the Adaman sea!
Not overly concerned as it wasn't the best fitting mask.

Only restraint is that it needs to accommodate a prescription lens.
The cost of the mask is not a factor - any suggestions?

Well then you should search for a mask that someplace makes a ready made lense insert for it. I have a Mares Xvision I recently ordered perscription lenses from Aquatic Optics - didn't have to send the mask in because they already have blanks for them. They work great however I might reconsider the area of bifocal next time as depending how i fit the mask on my face my lashes occationally touch the bifocal lense. They have blanks for many other scuba masks as well. Really helps to spot critters of all sizes having 20-20 eyesight under water.

The common advice of placing a mask on your face and inhaling to see if it sticks is lacking. I recommend taking your regulator with you to try on mask. Put your reg in your mouth and then try on the mask while inhaling to see if it fits. You would be surprised how many folks buy the wrong mask by following the advice in the first sentence of this post. A reg distorts the face a bit and may add additional crease lines. Pay attention to the outside crease lines of your eyes. Are they outside of the inner seal, if so, leaky leaky.Get the right mask for your face first then call Aquatic Optics or Seavision. Better yet do what I've done. I swore I never would consider contacts - they felt like a brick in my eye. But the newer soft ones that let more O2 in are nice. I'll never go back. I am diving using monovision (1 contact in my dominant eye but it looks the same as two contacts though I can read my gauges now with no trouble).

Thanks everyone for your input!

diveprof, good point! In fact I went to the optomotrist and am trying out contact lenses.
Will probably go with that. Finbob

The common advice of placing a mask on your face and inhaling to see if it sticks is lacking. I recommend taking your regulator with you to try on mask. Put your reg in your mouth and then try on the mask while inhaling to see if it fits. You would be surprised how many folks buy the wrong mask by following the advice in the first sentence of this post. A reg distorts the face a bit and may add additional crease lines. Pay attention to the outside crease lines of your eyes. Are they outside of the inner seal, if so, leaky leaky.Get the right mask for your face first then call Aquatic Optics or Seavision. Better yet do what I've done. I swore I never would consider contacts - they felt like a brick in my eye. But the newer soft ones that let more O2 in are nice. I'll never go back. I am diving using monovision (1 contact in my dominant eye but it looks the same as two contacts though I can read my gauges now with no trouble).

scubapro solara can get get rx in tem. can be done in store if you have a minus rx

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom