Martha's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know anything about that Dave. Last card I got was in 1983 when I was 16. I'm pretty sure my class consisted of: 1) don't stay at 60' for more than an hour, 2) don't hold your breath when you rise, and 3) don't freak out, ever. That's kept me alive for 29 years and taken me all over the world.

If anyone needs a card to tell them not to get into more trouble than they can get themselves out of, then that "diver" should take up golf.

I was just saying it was a beautiful morning, in all respects, and for anyone who had not been there yet to make a point of going for a visit, but to let it be what it is and to not fuss about what it's not, because it's great - Fred, the woods, the campfire, the cold-ass water, the man eating bluegill & chickens, et' all - it's all great, every bit of it. Middle Tennessee is lucky to have such an excellent resource, operated by such a fine fellow, and even luckier to have so many folks willing to help make it an even better place for all to enjoy.

Went out there yesterday, first time in 6yrs. Viz was disappointing, but IMHO it also added to the crusher house with the swim throughs. Air on site used to be a concern, but now I've found a local filler (in Cookeville) so it's no worries. I really liked the setting (except for the ticks, wife just got lymes disease, here in Cookeville, and I've had it before), the chickens are entertaining FWIW. Especially that little rooster trying to crow and keep up with that big one.

The thermacline really smacks you in the face around 35'. I didn't mind it but my partners wouldn't go lower. LOL

With crappy viz it didn't matter anyway. I'll be back.

I don't know anything about that Dave. Last card I got was in 1983 when I was 16. I'm pretty sure my class consisted of: 1) don't stay at 60' for more than an hour, 2) don't hold your breath when you rise, and 3) don't freak out, ever. That's kept me alive for 29 years and taken me all over the world.

If anyone needs a card to tell them not to get into more trouble than they can get themselves out of, then that "diver" should take up golf.
Thank you for the criticism. There are dive operators who require the solo diver card for insurance/liability protection purposes. That's all I was asking.

I imagine if Fred had anything to say on the subject, he would have chimed in.

Have a wonderful day.

David

Here is a quick panorama of the topside area. Fred is sitting.

Sent from my DROID X2

Last edited:
I wasn’t trying to come off like a tool, David; I’m just not a big fan of cards, that’s all.

It seems like when I wasn’t paying attention, the “Dive Industry” has become a lot more focused on earning cards and selling superfluous gear, and has somewhere along the line forgot to explain to folks that 1) a person needs to be a good swimmer, otherwise they are really asking for trouble, and 2) to just friggin’ chill-out down there, and stop and smell the roses. Haste not only make waist, it also makes little problems big ones.

Say howdy if see you out there some time; I’ll be the one sportin’ the double-hose regulator, and little else.

Ronin- Is that shot with one of those GoPro deals? Pretty cool. Do you have it head-mounted? or on a light or something? Glad the chickens made it in the show! I’d really like to talk with someone who knew a lot about those. My attempts at digital video, by land & by sea, have been abysmal failures.

Fred :crazyeye:

8dust, no it is a tachyon microHD, I picked it up on sale for $109, so far I'm pretty impressed with it. You do need to use lithium batteries. I used some fresh alkalines and the camera would die after about 25 or so minutes (depending on temp). I've bought some lithium batteries. LOL

Bletso, ya the viz SUCKED pretty hard, but it is what it is. It is only an hour from my house so I guess I'll have to weigh this against the two hour drive. I would REALLY like to dive this dry when the viz is good, it would be fun. I just have to catch Fred before he goes to Vietnam to winter. I'm about to upload a long raw vid of the crusher house. You can find it on my channel eventually. Also, the entry is a series of steps to a floating platform that is partially submerged, which I though was cool. What I didn't like was the long ass swim to the house. It would be really cool if Fred, or someone would put a rope in to a person could pull themselves along to the house.

Actually the vis used to be pretty good when entry was on the other side except when the quarry was busy with classes and then one swam out into the deeper section and down and it was fine even great. After Fred started disturbing the ground all the mud seemed to flow into the quarry with the result of poorer vis.

Dale

I wasn’t trying to come off like a tool, David; I’m just not a big fan of cards, that’s all.

It seems like when I wasn’t paying attention, the “Dive Industry” has become a lot more focused on earning cards and selling superfluous gear, and has somewhere along the line forgot to explain to folks that 1) a person needs to be a good swimmer, otherwise they are really asking for trouble, and 2) to just friggin’ chill-out down there, and stop and smell the roses. Haste not only make waist, it also makes little problems big ones.

Say howdy if see you out there some time; I’ll be the one sportin’ the double-hose regulator, and little else.
Fair 'nuf.

Take care,
David

Back
Top Bottom