Martha's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the vis is getting a little better each day with the normal cooling. The surface temp is just below the 80 degree mark. Looking forward to a good weekend coming up when air temps are to be in the 80's (this could be our last comfortable weekend). We had a lot of fun this years. I always close the quarry each year with reluctance. We will be open at least to the last weekend this month. If folks keep coming we will be there longer. I wish the quarry was a 52 week a year gig.

...Temps in the first 20 feet or so have been like bathwater, then cool to about 40 feet after which it gets brutally, painfully cold for most wetsuit divers. (O.K. I'm a temp wimp)
...The bluegill have been especially pesky this year. I wear a hood for sunscreen and to keep my ears from being nibbled more than I do for warmth
I'm not a cold water wimp, but; man, it seems there isn't any colder water in Tn. than below the 35ft-40ft mark at Marthas. I think that nice hot tub temp at the surface sets you up for a brain freeze when you do drop down.
The fishies at Marthas have always been overly friendly.:D
yepper, Fred is here to post. When you looked wistfully at the old pavilion, did you remember how you hot it was over there? even after sun down the heat radiated from the parking area. Two seasons have almost past and no 1 complaint about the heat, even in this record breaking heat this year. It is a long swim to the buildings (about 700 ft.), but there are not 20-40 student there kicking it up. Seems as though divers do hangout longer, being protected from the sun. The previous post a very accurate.
Agree with you 100% Fred! I didn't get to make it up there this year, but; last year, me and some friends visited and we stayed from nearly sun up till sun down. The trees and shade were much nicer than the over-sized pizza stone on the other side. We explored the shaker, crusher, and pump house and had it all to ourselves. Vis was crystal for 25 ft. I wish I could have made it this year. :)

I have been overwelmed with phone calls from folks wanting to get wet in what may be our last truly comfortable weekend, At the request of two trainers and several individuals, I will be open this coming Friday as well as Sat and Sun.:D

today....water surface temp low 70's. vis 20-25 except where student were. Great weekend, still having fun.

I am happy to agree that conditions are great at Martha's a/o yesterday!!!

and BTW, if anyone should happen to notice a free-swimming weight belt (black nylon 6 pouch w/ 20 lbs of shot in it) 2/3's of the way from the dock out towards the boats ~ 20' to the left of the rope... that would be mine. Pretty sure it went off on it's own right over the trench, but after a couple of cold and low passes with rocks in my pockets, I didn't see it. If somebody else would happen to stumble upon it, I would very much appreciate the return. Thanks, Fred

Is it only 60' max depth in the quarry ?

BTW ... Looks perfect as a training dive site for OW.

nope, the max depth is 58 ft. We just had a great weekend the water temp is now 70 degree and vis is 20-25 ft.

God I need to get over there. I've been diving Loch Low-Minn because my dive buddy is in Maryville. I think I have him talked into heading over there. Too bad the season is over. Hint hint

God I need to get over there. I've been diving Loch Low-Minn because my dive buddy is in Maryville. I think I have him talked into heading over there. Too bad the season is over. Hint hint

Hey Ron, We have closed the regular season, but we will be open speratickly thru the winter for warmed days. We will be open this coming Sunday at noon to when ever. Sundays high should be 60.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom