Martha's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What a weekend. The viz had gone from 40 ft. to 10 ft. because of the 4 inches of rain they recieved just 3-4 days before. Water temp. was H O T !!! It was shorty time. I put on a 3mm glideskin and liked to died. Had to jump out and grab the shorty. The people were horrible this past weekend though. We've never experienced anything like it. We had a group that was doing giant strides from about 10 ft up. No different than half the aggressor fleet when the let you. However the agressor fleet has sealevel platforms. An instructor came over and raised hell. He was very unprofessional. However; the owners son came down and he was really nice about it. Then the next day. Yet another Instructor comes up to me after I had thrown two rocks(small rocks) into the quarry complaining about that. I had KNOW problem to rules but he wouldn't shut up after he told me to stop. There were NO DIVERS ANYWHERE IN THE AREA OF THIS 42 acre quarry. Someone in there motorcycle goosed it for about a total of 1.5 seconds up by my truck at the top of the quarry. I brought Martha's quarry 600 bucks cash this past weekend. The shop is considering our trip in 3 weeks to Cerulean instead of Martha's. We may give Martha's one more chance. Anybody else ever had this experience. We have 17 divers here that NEVER want to go to Martha's again because of the attitudes some of these instructors had.
We did have some good times underwater fortunetly. Had a nice group dinner down there. It wasn't all bad just not the best weekend.
We have NO problem following rules and we don't want to change any rules. BUT MAN....They could have scolded us in a more professional manner.

You had 10 feet? Your very lucky. The vis gets better if you go to the far side of the quarry but that just takes forever to get there. There is ALOT of training that goes on in this quarry of ppl at various lvls of experience so the gunk is often stirred up. Someone must have pee'd in the guys wheaties if they complained about giant stride entries. HECK, that dock is just next to two man made well marked training platforms. I've always assumed THAT is why they placed it there so ppl could train on different entry techniques. Ya really didn't need to toss the rocks in however no matter how small.

Why are other ppl 'crying' making it any less enjoyable for ya'll? Those 'hero' instructors are not tied to Martha's Quarry with a ball and chain. I'm sure they will follow you around now to any inland water feature you go to. I go there 3 or 4 times a year since it is close for me. My only complaints are the gunk on the bottom and the sometimes the fish gets too friendly. However that is my same complaint about most quarries.

I have worked Martha's Quarry as a Divemaster / Safety Officer for 9 years. I am used to telling 8 yr olds to stop throwing rocks, but it really irritates me to have to remind an adult that its not a good idea. (small rocks ?) These rocks where the size of my hand at least. And to say that no divers where in the area, How would you know unless you were down there ? There are dozens of individuals doing rebreather training at Martha's on a regular basis. And not only were these rocks being thrown in the water. They were being thrown at the buoys that are attached to the training platform Where I (a Hero dive instructor) was going to have a class doing skills. So if the safety of my students and divers makes me a (Hero dive instructor or Cry Baby) I will take the title anytime.

By the way. How would anyone in your group have known about me asking you to stop throwing rocks when I did so quietly between the two of us ?

Also there is a huge difference between a 12ft Giant stride off of a boat deck and a 12ft. giant stride off of a jagged rock face cliff but I guess only a hero dive instructor can discern the difference.

As a dive leader yourself I am sure you must realize the necessity to enforce regulations and safety principles at dive site containing 100+ divers.

Signed,

Hero Dive Instructor

I've always loved to dive Martha's Quarry. But all things must end at some point.

I am Fred Massie owner/operator of Martha’s Quarry Dive facility in Wilson County, TN. I can be reached via phone at (615) 860-9390 and have a website http://marthasquarry.com. I do not have an alias like bengalsmgtsucks to show I have a problem with someone (grow up).

If you have complaints and choose to go public with it at least put your name on it. (Be a Man)

I have problems with your comments. Your comments were ridiculous and false (Liars make false statements) Trying to blow off a dangerous practice as something miniscule and full of contradictions.

Go to Vortex Springs, Ginny Springs, Morrison Springs, Mermet Springs or Dive Cerulean to name a few and throw rocks in the water of any size. See what happens. Imagine yourself in the water with or without students wondering where the next rock will fall and of what size. Would you not surface and put a stop to it? That is why we have HERO Instructors. They are there to insure this or any other unsafe practice above or below the water is stopped. Most of the time they are bored non-divers. This is the first time it has been a dive leader.

There is a type of entry that we do from 12 ft. It is not a giant stride. A Giant Stride from this height is unsafe. However safe entries from this can be performed at this height and greater.

From where did you get your information pertaining to Aggressor Fleet? Who possibly would believe that as luxurious and wonderful as any of the vessels contained in this fleet would have their clientele do a 12 ft. giant stride. You must have really been grasping at straws to come up with something to justify your training misconceptions.

The Aggressor Caribbean fleet has 1 ft. platforms on all vessels. The Aggressor Pacific fleet dives from skiffs. My source for this information is Julie at Aggressor Fleet 800-348-2328 (She laughed).

Now, do you really believe anyone believed you? Do you think anyone will ever believe you again? Do you think we assign a babysitter for the rock throwers? Will they watch how close and gauge the size of stone being thrown? Do we tell people don’t do stupid crap? Do we make 10,000 rules? Wouldn’t it be better to use common sense and lead by example?

Besides trying to blow off giant strides from cliffs and rock throwing. Let’s discuss the motorcycle. It wan not a mini-bike, it was a large (almost as big as my Honda car) Harley (Beautiful). Hi so called (by you) 1.5 second rev allowed him to do three consecutive donuts in my driveway. Showering gravel everywhere with part of your group standing close by. Forget eye damage from flown gravel think about losing control and either the rider and / or your group being injured. And you blow this off as a 1.5 second rev Is this leadership?

He was politely approached, asked not to do it again (Didn’t Work) when leaving Martha’s Quarry he started in gravel spinning the rear wheel, losing control when reaching asphalt almost colliding with oncoming traffic (one of my neighbors). And you say we cry, cry, cry over a 1.5 sec rev. Are you misleading anyone from the truth? No wonder you use bengalsmgtsucks instead of your real name.

I have a hard time sorting out who is coming back and who is not. At first you said 7 did not want to come back, next you said none (which is correct? Or grasping at straws again?) Some have already returned.

I have some wonderful Dive Trainers working with me, not for me. They have always stepped up to the plate for me and they have always stepped up for Safety’s sake. I cannot allow anyone to call them Horrible, Hero, or say they “cry, cry, cry” and not step up for them. They are great folks just like the group you brought with you. I really enjoyed then and wish I could spend more time with all the people diving with us. This whole letter is about 2 people. Yours and one other’s behavior.

Admit your wrong don’t blame it on cry babies and don’t blow it off. Bottom line your folks are salt of the earth as a matter of fact I purchased a vehicle from one. I had not driven or ridden in it. He told me nothing was wrong with it and I paid him cash. I have driven several days and guess what is wrong with it - NOTHING. I have always said we get a great cut of society in scuba. Unfortunately occasionally a bad apple rolls under the fence and as a leader we deal with it and repair our driveways.

Fred Massie
Martha’s Quarry

P.S. When you go to Cerulean don’t throw rocks or tear up Dave Westerfield’s Driveway. He will eat you for breakfast. He is a safe operator and a businessman as well as a good man. Please don’t say he is horrible for being this way. We can’t help ourselves.

I would have a hard time believing that any quarry owner would put up with such foolish and childish behavior. The giant strides are bad enough, but really, you should know better than to throw rocks into the quarry. I witnessed the owner of Gilboa in Ohio do far more yelling over parking in the wrong spot on my OW cert dives, I would hate to see what he would do if confronted with such actions. It is hard enough to get permision to use quarries for diving without people acting in such a manor that may be harmful to other divers. No one should stand by and watch as divers are possibly put in danger.

To fred: it looks like you have a wonderful facility and the conditions there look quite appealing. I am sure jealous of the extremely warm water temps you have down there. The quarry I dove in a few weeks ago was luck y to be in the low 50's at about 40 feet. Maybe sometime in the near future I can round up a few guys from the LDS and make a road trip down your way. What part of Tenn. are you located in?

Stop crying just dont throw rocks. would you want someone doing the same if you were in the water ? I know the Instructor you refer to as cry baby. I assure you he didnt make a big deal out of asking you not to throw rocks. the people at marthas quarry are very professional in every way. whats the big deal just dont throw rocks ! and as far as the motorcycle, would you want some idiot doing the same in your driveway around your family or friends. Fred is looking out for the well being of every one there. as far as the vis what do you want its not the ocean, but it is the best place in the southeastern U.S. to train and dive ! the rules they have are there for YOURS and other peoples benefit. its no bifferent than being on a dive boat. the dont let you jump off the fly bridge or drive the boat.

p.s. and yes I have 100's of dive there. so I know the operation and the quarry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom