Martha's quarry air fills... (new rules)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Look's like Fred's changed the rules again. (but then again it's his water hole)

This was in the MTSS Newsletter from Fred.

Finally, effective 1 Jan. 2008, Marthas Quarry will adopt a policy to fill only scuba cylinders that have a PSI visual inspection and an official PSI visual inspection sticker applied. Almost all the area shops already support PSI inspection. Marthas has adopted this policy to keep the sport a little safer. Long gone are the days when We removed the tank valve and took a peek inside with the naked eye. Much more is to be considered now, and PSI is the only agency I know of , that has an aggressive tank inspection program. Please ask for a PSI trained examiner to visual inspect your tank.

Thanks,
Fred Massie"

I'd say that most shops aren't PSI certified. oh well. Not that PSI is that much greater than anything else are they?

Here's the crazy thing.... most folks don't trust the compressor system at Martha's to put air in their tanks anyway, yet now he's saying he doesn't trust our tanks? go figure.

Here's the crazy thing.... most folks don't trust the compressor system at Martha's to put air in their tanks anyway, yet now he's saying he doesn't trust our tanks? go figure.
Hehehe, pretty good....

You motivated me to look for the MTSS web site. Didn't find Fred's notice on it (guess you have to subscribe to the newsletter), but did find this:

White Drysuit Demo Day @ Martha's Quarry - Saturday, November 10. Free with quarry pass. Buy your pass at MTSS at a discount.

Good opportunity to dive Martha's when it is normally closed. The water should still be semi-warm, and the weather may still be semi-decent. This constitutes the diving conditions known as semi-semi. :D

David

Hehehe, pretty good....

You motivated me to look for the MTSS web site. Didn't find Fred's notice on it (guess you have to subscribe to the newsletter), but did find this:

White Drysuit Demo Day @ Martha's Quarry - Saturday, November 10. Free with quarry pass. Buy your pass at MTSS at a discount.

Good opportunity to dive Martha's when it is normally closed. The water should still be semi-warm, and the weather may still be semi-decent. This constitutes the diving conditions known as semi-semi. :D

David

Yes it was on the MTSS emailed out newsletter you have to subscribe too.

It detailed the Whites Demo also. There is a seperate thread here about the Whites Demo tour, but they haven't been keeping it up to date.

For yours and everyones benefit, here is the complete text of the info from the MTSS newsletters about Marthas Quarry.

A Message from Martha's Quarry

We received this note from Martha's Quarry (edited for application to our readers)

"Great news, Martha's Quarry will remain open until Nov.10 and possibly later. The reasons are: warm air temp, warm water (80 F this past weekend), local dive shops have scheduled classes at Marthas, and Whites Dry Suits will be there Nov. 10 for a "Demo Day". All of which are great reason to remain open later this year.

If you have never tried a dry suit, "Whites Demo Day" will be a good opportunity to do just that. They will have over 50 dry suits on hand, so all will have one that fits, and no waiting. 'Whites does it right", and so does the other manufactures of dry suits when that sponsor an event like demo day. If you've already tried one, you can try again. there will be no additional charge, just the normal quarry admission that can be purchased at a discount from your local dive shop.

Our treasure hunt went very well. Finally when all the contributions came in, the hunt brought in $5745.00. Thanks to all that participated, and a great thank you to the dive shops that donated treasures. The divers from Middle Tennessee are the greatest bunch of folks that can be found.

Finally, effective 1 Jan. 2008, Marthas Quarry will adopt a policy to fill only scuba cylinders that have a PSI visual inspection and an official PSI visual inspection sticker applied. Almost all the area shops already support PSI inspection. Marthas has adopted this policy to keep the sport a little safer. Long gone are the days when We removed the tank valve and took a peek inside with the naked eye. Much more is to be considered now, and PSI is the only agency I know of , that has an aggressive tank inspection program. Please ask for a PSI trained examiner to visual inspect your tank.

Thanks,
Fred Massie

i've been reading some of your threads. i was diving marthas quarry today. vis was great water temp 76, and i wittnessed a dive store owner from north ala purchaseing some discount admittion passes from fred at marthas. his name is britt and his store is in the greater huntsville area. it is called better diver and he has a good web site. just thought you might want to know. i read your thread about whites dry suites and it prompted me to go there today. thanks

pete sakes

As for the PSI requirment at marthas i am all for it. As a dive inst. for several years i have had a tank to split on me while beening filled. A 3000 psi tank split at 2800 psi. LET ME TELL YOU THAT IS ENOUGH TO SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF YOU. AND YES THE TANK WAS IN CURRENT HYDO AND IN VIS. With the internet anyone can buy inspection stickers. Most dive shops have TRAINED PSI INSPECTORS ON STAFF. AS FOR PROFESSIONAL SCUBA INSPECTORS KNOW PSI FOR SHORT THAY DO MORE RESEARCH ON HIGH PRESSURE THAN ANY OTHER GROUP THAT I KNOW OF. AND I AM A PROUD TO BE A TRAINED MEMBER OF PSI
AS FOR THE AIR AT MARTHAS I SEE DIVE SHOPS FROM ALL OVER THE MID SOUTH GETTING THERE TANKS FILLED AT THE QUARRY. DO YOU THINK FOR ONE MIMUTE IF THERE WAS ANY DOUBT ABOUT THE AIR AT MARTHAS ANY SHOP WOULD GIVE IT TO THERE CUSTOMERS?
I have been diving at marthas since 1990 and NEVER had a bad air as long as long as the fill station has been there. I wish i could say the same for some of the other shops around the country i have used in the past. After looking at my logs i see i have had over 200 fills at marthas. thanks
diver507

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom