Marsa Alam in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

Diving virus is getting at me again, and I am looking at taking snorkeling companion, diving son and diving grandson for some diving early next year (school vacations in Geneva dictate the schedule...).

1) How cold is Marsa Alam in February? I recall doing my AOW in Dahab many years ago in Jan and my likes were blue every time I came out of the water...
2) what combination Hotel and Dive Club would you recommend? I went to Brayka Bay in 2005 and they had a nice house reef plus a good (French) diving outfit. I know this has changed, however...

Many thanks for any assistance in this.

Best,

Rene

7mm or semi-dry...

alors reste au Brayka, si tu as aimé... mais il y a plein de centres, Marsa Galep devient le St Trop' du coin...enfin ils essaient.

then go back to Brayka if you liked it... but there are plenty of diving centers, Marsa Galep is changing to Miami beach of the Red Sea... well at least they try.

I was there last March in a 5mm and froze my butt off. Take something warmer Consider a boat coat too.

Was there in March and was quite comfortable in a dry suit. Those in wet suits were cold but it was doable in a 5 mm suit. Would not want to do it in a 3 mm.

Many guides dive dry in the winter; and February in that area is winter! Might I recommend bringing something warm for the surface interval. Have a great trip!

Many thanks to all for taking the trouble to respond. Methinks the heat of summer may be more appropriate for the family....
Best,

RA

We were there in April and the water temp was 22-23C. A 5mm wetsuit plus Lavacore vest worked for me.
The pool (also 22-23C) & sea water were ok but a bit cooler than ideal for swimming & snorkelling.
If we go again I think we'd go no earlier than May, but with kids (taking school holidays into consideration) I think October would be the ideal time go as the water is still warm but the air temps are cooler than July/Aug which may be too hot!
We went to Dahab in July a few years ago (before we had kids) and it was very hot! Although it didn't matter too much as we were in the water mist of the time :)

Dear UFOrb,

Thanks, I think you make a very valid point: had forgotten how "un-warm" the red sea is until May...
Best,

Rene

5mm may be just fine if you're doing shore diving in a sheltered area (Coraya Bay for example). If you're on a boat on a windy day and already feeling cold by the time you get equipped then a semi-dry suit is probably what you need..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom