Marsa Alam, Egypt - Dugong photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SimonJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from a week in Marsa Alam in Southern Egypt...did not get all that much time for photos as I was doing the resuce diver course. I did though come across this amazing animal...

dugong1.jpg

dugong2.jpg

dugong3.jpg

dugong4.jpg

dugong5.jpg

Dugongs are part of the same family of sea cows as the Manatee, but they are found in the Red Sea and across the Indo-Pacific region.

I have a short video clip of it feeding as well... http://www.simonandmerith.com/marsaalam2004/dugong/dugong.wmv

Not really had the time to edit the photos as I would like, but will post a few more over the next few days from other dives :10:

Yeah...he was certainly not lacking in scars. I guess they have trouble with boats and the like. Shame they are fantastic creatures.

Thanks for sharing.
I have had some wonderful dives with manatees, they are such docile creatures (and they love a belly rub!).

Very cool. So much like the manatees here. Looks like they have the same problem with boats, too.

Wow in all the times I've been to the Red Sea I didn't know you could find Dugongs there. Never even heard any of the guides talking about them. Wicked pics and video well done.

I was there also on 11th June. It was the last day of the cruise and could no dive as next day we were taking the flight. We snorkel but could not see the Dugongo. We saw however a huge 100 years old Sea Turtle (1.5-2 m house). Did you see it. I did not have with me the camera but was very nice...

Lucky you for the Dugongo

Hi Azo...did not see the turtle as I was doing my rescue diver that day as well. The others went out on a second dive and I understand saw a huge turtle as well. Sounds like the same one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom