Marking 30th anniversary of SEALAB instigator's death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SEALAB Author Ben H.

Contributor
Reaction score
Capt. George F. Bond, a Navy doctor and the father of the SEALAB program in the 1960s, died Jan. 3, 1983, at the age of 67. For those who may not know of this singular American, whose vision forever changed the history of diving, the first chapter of my new book makes a fitting tribute.
BondBoat.jpg

Thank you for the tribute. And, quite lucky you were able to get in a link to plug your book for sale..... very heartfelt.

Oh, no need to be quite so cynical, Reck Diver. . .That linked chapter can be read online for free – and does make a fitting tribute to Capt. Bond, who deserves wider recognition.

But, sure, if people take enough of an interest to buy the book (or check it out at the library, or whatever) – great! SEALAB is a remarkably overlooked subject, which is how I wound up spending the better part of a decade researching and writing a book about the project, the people behind it and some related deep-diving ventures. So I hope it isn’t too much of a stretch to believe that this post is at least as much of a heartfelt tribute as an inglorious sales pitch. . . Plus it's nice to be able to share this picture of Capt. Bond, aka "Papa Topside," looking contemplative and satisfied in his SEALAB uniform – and fiddling as he often was with his ubiquitous pipe. I’m told Bond himself was quite fond of this photo.

Whatever your intent, to me it was a sales plug. The link goes to a site where you are offered a tease with a free chapter, then the table of contents for the rest of the book and finally click-on links to the where the book is for sale, on line.

I am just used to a tribute being non-commercial...... just sayin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom