Marineland at high tide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I joined Lee Zaro and Angelique "Baby Killer" Neugent for a dive at the point this morning. Lee showed me his secret entry spot, but it was submerged. I entered near it and was able to get in without clanging my tank or face on any shallow rocks. Much easier entry than Ted's Rock.
We made a kelp crawl to the outer edge of the reef and dropped on a rock with two San Diego dorids on top. My camera wouldn't focus in macro today, so no nudibranch shots. I thought it was due to a low battery until I got home and realized I had mistakenly taken the camera out of macro mode. I managed to get a few mediocre wide angle shots.
Gorgonians abound at the point
e53885df89ab46879d92a7ceb81d6abf

d7934ccfe1fe4551bbbe8c139c16c950

c284a4a19f0f428196277886271883d8

a6eda8d6c29f441ebd22988ed8ce54a9

I headed over to Ted's Pinnacle to check out the statue. Among the tunicates, sponges, Christmas Tree worms and algae growing on it, there is now Lacy bryozoan in the bucket. Every inch of the statue has become an artificial reef. I turned around to have a look at the Jesus Blob and it too is now covered.
edb336ce9eb64ede8e9815137c3bdd76

a2db5f8706414964a30abda97236f1cd

I made my way back to the cove. Along the way a large school of mackerel swirled around me, scattering with each flash of my strobes.
de582ef8e6ce44b78da6094fb73868da

b7c30f3157b74c5f87d51f79278bea79

The tide was high enough to exit right next to Jeff's Rock on the beach. I made it into six inches of water before a small surge of water pushed me down to one knee. Lee saw the entire exit and gave Angelique play-by-play. If you don't get knocked down at Marineland, you're not diving there enough. :)
The high tide brought in some 55F water, but the visibility was a little better than yesterday.

I joined Lee Zaro and Angelique "Baby Killer" Neugent for a dive at the point this morning. Lee showed me his secret entry spot, but it was submerged. I entered near it and was able to get in without clanging my tank or face on any shallow rocks. Much easier entry than Ted's Rock.
We made a kelp crawl to the outer edge of the reef and dropped on a rock with two San Diego dorids on top. My camera wouldn't focus in macro today, so no nudibranch shots. I thought it was due to a low battery until I got home and realized I had mistakenly taken the camera out of macro mode. I managed to get a few mediocre wide angle shots.
Gorgonians abound at the point
e53885df89ab46879d92a7ceb81d6abf

d7934ccfe1fe4551bbbe8c139c16c950

c284a4a19f0f428196277886271883d8

a6eda8d6c29f441ebd22988ed8ce54a9

I headed over to Ted's Pinnacle to check out the statue. Among the tunicates, sponges, Christmas Tree worms and algae growing on it, there is now Lacy bryozoan in the bucket. Every inch of the statue has become an artificial reef. I turned around to have a look at the Jesus Blob and it too is now covered.
edb336ce9eb64ede8e9815137c3bdd76

a2db5f8706414964a30abda97236f1cd

I made my way back to the cove. Along the way a large school of mackerel swirled around me, scattering with each flash of my strobes.
de582ef8e6ce44b78da6094fb73868da

b7c30f3157b74c5f87d51f79278bea79

The tide was high enough to exit right next to Jeff's Rock on the beach. I made it into six inches of water before a small surge of water pushed me down to one knee. Lee saw the entire exit and gave Angelique play-by-play. If you don't get knocked down at Marineland, you're not diving there enough. :)
The high tide brought in some 55F water, but the visibility was a little better than yesterday.

Great shots!! I always love your photos! thanks for sharing!

Entry at the Point? In your drysuit? and with your camera? Daring :D I wish I could have made it seeing as the swell forecast is looking terrible for next week.

Great wide angle shots Phil!!!

By the way, you almost owed me a new keyboard. "Angelique "Baby Killer" Neugent " I almost spit my coffee all over the place.....:coffee: You are too funny. I guess we have to call her BK now.

Entry at the Point? In your drysuit? and with your camera? Daring :D I wish I could have made it seeing as the swell forecast is looking terrible for next week.
When a surge of water came in I jumped and rode it out. It's a great spot to enter. Lee mentioned that I went in with no snorkel nor a reg in my mouth. I told him that I even forgot to inflate my BC. Fortunately I don't use a lot of weight or I would have been diving in three feet of water next to the post. Ouch!

I meant to comment on your photos as well. The color on some of them is extremely brilliant and bright. I've had trouble getting the color to pop on a lot of my wide angle shots. Do you white balance before shooting? or do you white balance during post? What is your current strobe setup? Do you use diffusers?

I have two Sea & Sea 110a strobes with diffusers, but I surprise myself when I get anything decent. I'm better at Photoshop than photography. :)

I don't know Phil......I think you are a pretty darn good photographer. Photoshop can only do so much. BTW, keep me posted on the ID chart you shoed me that you and Merry put together. I think this is a great learning tool for our local schools.

Back
Top Bottom