Marine science program short of a degree?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The MIT open course ware link is a great resource.
I can also recommend looking into internships with marine NGOS. My friends at People and the Sea in Malapascua, Philippines are running such a program - they do serious conservation and conservation biology research, and foreign interns help them. The interns are trained in marine biology and scientific diving; they pay a fee for this tuition which helps run the whole program. There are a number of similar programs around.

I'm interested in learning about marine science, marine biology, oceanography, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of any structured programs available online or via distance learning? I am not interested in actually becoming a marine biologist so don't want to complete a full-blown undergraduate degree in marine biology. But I'm interested in something more detailed and more structured than just me going to Amazon, buying books and reading them. Any thoughts?

BTW, I have no science background beyond high school, if that makes any difference. And I work for a living (unfortunately) so hence, the need for online/distance learning as opposed to in-class.

Do you have a large Aquarium located near you? They often offer educational programs and experiences. The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is near us and we took an underwater photography class from them years ago. At the end of the course we got to dive in the coral reef exhibit.

Learning Experiences | Shedd Aquarium

Do you have a large Aquarium located near you? They often offer educational programs and experiences. The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is near us and we took an underwater photography class from them years ago. At the end of the course we got to dive in the coral reef exhibit.

Learning Experiences | Shedd Aquarium

Yes we have an aquarium and a single tank dive experience but nothing more than that.

I'm set to graduate soon, and have been interested in Marine Biology for quite some time. I've aced biology and marine biology in high school, and am currently enrolled in chemistry (which I've been managing a low B in since I first started). Although I'm pretty stuck as to what I should do. I have no experience when it comes to diving, but I live a few miles away from the beach, and I'm absolutely terrified of open water. I'm not interested in becoming a dolphin trainer, or microbiology. I love observing animals, dissecting, watching their populations, and the conservation of different species. It seems math isn't my forte, but when mixed with science, I'm pretty alright. I really enjoy marine biology, but I don't want to work in an aquarium. I want to be able to study marine life and protect their ecosystems. I don't know if I should go into college for marine and business, or go for my second option of art and English.

I'm set to graduate soon, and have been interested in Marine Biology for quite some time. I've aced biology and marine biology in high school, and am currently enrolled in chemistry (which I've been managing a low B in since I first started). Although I'm pretty stuck as to what I should do. I have no experience when it comes to diving, but I live a few miles away from the beach, and I'm absolutely terrified of open water. I'm not interested in becoming a dolphin trainer, or microbiology. I love observing animals, dissecting, watching their populations, and the conservation of different species. It seems math isn't my forte, but when mixed with science, I'm pretty alright. I really enjoy marine biology, but I don't want to work in an aquarium. I want to be able to study marine life and protect their ecosystems. I don't know if I should go into college for marine and business, or go for my second option of art and English.

Well, I don't think that you should pursue a career in Marine Biology if you are afraid of the open ocean and don't want to learn to dive. Since you live close to the sea, is there an opportunity for you to go on a guided snorkeling trip, with a small group in shallow water? That might help you better assess your fears about the ocean and decide if they are something that you can overcome or whether you should look elsewhere for a career. I had to take an "adult learn to swim" class before I started dive training. Snorkeling really helped me to become more comfortable in the water.

You might consider studying ecology and environmental science, you may find an area of interest to you. You shouldn't be too concerned that Math is not your strongest subject. It's not my strongest subject either and I was a Science major during my undergraduate education. I graduated with a major in Biology and minors in Math and Chemistry and I successfully pursued a career in Medical Microbiology. But be aware that you will likely need at least a Master's degree if you plan to advance in a Science career.

Regarding your interest in English and Art, those are wonderful and fulfilling areas of knowledge, but it can be hard to get a job after graduation with a general degree. If you got a Teaching degree perhaps you could teach Art or English? Or are you interested in studying Journalism, or Architecture (more math!) or Industrial Design?

There's a world of choices out there for you and you don't have to make an immediate decision. You can start with general undergrad classes and then decide which path you want to pursue; talk to your counselors and see what they suggest - and good luck to you and congratulations on your graduation!

Last edited:
"Great Courses" has an Oceanography course on DVD. Can probably pick one up used if it is out of production.
A extensive course on coral reef ecology is available on line at KSLOF Coral Reef Education Portal: Free Online Student Worksheets you would have to sign in as a guest. I will tell you, the biology on coral reproduction made me wish I had paid more attention in biology many years ago.
Finally, check out the courses at Future Learn. I did the shipwreck class with them a few years back. it was very rigorous and fun. and its free Search Our Free Online Courses - FutureLearn

I can’t help but think of the “Marine Biologist” episode of Seinfeld.

There are several different concentrations in marine science at NCSU. Here is a link: Marine Science | Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences | NC State University. I realize this is a long way from Ireland but it does give some info on the different things you can do with a degree in marine science. You can also see what courses are required for the different degrees.

Good programs, and I hate to mention another since NCSU pays for my diving (and house and car and beer and ..) but University North Carolina Wilmington also has a marine science program in different flavors.

As to what you do with it you never know. Met a guy who did his PhD on billfish off NC. Rode around on offshore fishing boats for a few summers. Now works for Duke Power, They have some cooling lakes for power plants and have to keep the water quality good so they needed some biologist with aquatic life background.

I should look into those MIT courses myself... although the Acoustical Oceanography would likely be at least partially a refresher for me, after my Navy experience with sonar.

I want to be able to study marine life and protect their ecosystems. I don't know if I should go into college for marine and business,

Keep in mind that environmental protection nonprofits and agencies hire many kinds of people besides scientists. They need public relations people to manage campaigns; financial people to manage the books; people who can recruit donors (for nonprofits); lawyers skilled in environmental law; policy experts. I suggest looking at the job boards of environmental nonprofits and government agencies in your area, to see what kinds of people they are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom