Marine Room 09/20/15 - Free Roaming Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, just off the bat all of my pictures were terrible. Not a single one is worth posting here. However, the video did turn out ok so that's what I'll be posting. Viz was milky at best, snotty and sandy at worst. I'm wondering if the hazy conditions are what brought out all the lobster, because the main feature this dive was all the free-roaming lobster.

Now, I'm terrible at estimating the sizes of things, so I put my hand pretty close to a lobster in one of these videos. It was still a little bit far away from the lobster because I don't actually want one of them ever touching me, but close enough!

Low tide was still at ~+2.5' so the water was a bit deeper like last time. We hopped into a hot and steamy 73ºF ocean, hit a max depth of 26fsw and average 12fsw, and had a lovely 1:22 dive. Here's various videos of things we saw on the dive. Sorry about the clicking noise in the first one; I have absolutely no idea what it is or how to stop it because it doesn't show up on any of the others. However, at the end is a surprise that I found, so I'll post it up for that :rofl3:

They always go and feel at you as you approach. Antennae up, party time.

I think it's supposed to rain tonight/tomorrow, so hop in ASAP if you plan on going in!

I'd say conditions in general haven't been good in general for the So Cal mainland the past few weeks. Seems there's an algae bloom. I dove Palos Verdes last weekend and Point Loma this weekend. It was worse up in PV but a lot of green water down here as well. Hopefully we'll get the Santa Anas blowing soon and conditions will improve (and fires won't start!).

We dive shaws cove laguna today and it was some of the best conditions we've had in months! 40-50 ft vis and 70 degrees at depth

I'd say conditions in general haven't been good in general for the So Cal mainland the past few weeks. Seems there's an algae bloom. I dove Palos Verdes last weekend and Point Loma this weekend. It was worse up in PV but a lot of green water down here as well. Hopefully we'll get the Santa Anas blowing soon and conditions will improve (and fires won't start!).

Well the fires are already going up North, and if today's 98ºF and <20% humidity don't count as Santa Ana, I don't know what does. Hopefully it clears out in the water soon, but I saw someone make a report on the local list that their computer told them it was 81ºF in the water. 81!! I get the feeling we might not have too much kelp to dive through this winter.

We dive shaws cove laguna today and it was some of the best conditions we've had in months! 40-50 ft vis and 70 degrees at depth

I heard it was better, deeper, but .. we usually just stay shallow because there's more to see, if you can actually see through the water hahaha!

---------- Post added September 21st, 2015 at 05:29 AM ----------

Oh, I forgot to post this one--

Last edited:
I heard from other friends that dove the shores that it opened up around 70ft, but hey anything over 10 feet viz is a great dive in Lajolla

Friday was cloudy in the flats at La Jolla but decent to good viz on the canyon edge

Back
Top Bottom