marine operators license

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
seems any boat with more than 6 passengers requires the operator (capt) to have a marine radio operators license? is this a test thing or application thing? FCC site is troublesome.

Not every captain has to hold one, but someone on every certified boat must. I didn't find it too troublesome to get one, paid the FCC 25 bucks and it came in the mail. Years ago it was a test, now it's just a fee. No test.

Does anyone know of a good classroom provider for FCC-GROL-Radar Endorsement-GMDSS Maintainer courses?

I use Louisiana Technical College-Young Memorial Campus for all of my training. I tend to know more than the instructors there. It makes passing easier. Then, I don't go to learn anything, but to get the certification. I hear that the school in Ft. Lauderdale actually teaches something..

I use Louisiana Technical College-Young Memorial Campus for all of my training. I tend to know more than the instructors there. It makes passing easier. Then, I don't go to learn anything, but to get the certification.

Yeh, but there is a great Oyster Po'boy at the gas station on the corner.

Yeh, but there is a great Oyster Po'boy at the gas station on the corner.
Good call, for lunch, but I schedule my classes in March, when the dive season is slow, and the bugs start coming. Susie's Seafood has the most excellent boiled food in LA. Why can't I find Abita Amber in Morgan City?

Not every captain has to hold one, but someone on every certified boat must. I didn't find it too troublesome to get one, paid the FCC 25 bucks and it came in the mail. Years ago it was a test, now it's just a fee. No test.

Just curious how long ago you applied for you M.R.O.P. I just recently recieved my Radio license but I was required to take the "elament 1" test from the FCC 25 questions it was not just pay a fee.. I was required to get one because i hold a masters license.(per my seaschool instr.)

Maybe 2 issues ago (I'm due for renewal in 2011). Your Sea School instructor may have newer knowledge than I do, but as of my last COI inspection (April 2010), only 1 captain on a vessel must hold a radio operators license. I specifically asked the inspector how he interpreted the regs, and that's what he said. My wife has a 200 ton ticket but no radio operators license. I use her license for the second license during safety inspection.

You all are both correct...

On an inspected vessel, there must be someone that holds a MROP on board any time there are passengers aboard. I actually am unsure if that person must also be a captain, as it is possible to get a MROP without a captains license. At any rate, many inspected vessels only have one captain, so, if you are the only captain aboard, then you are required to have the MROP.

There is a test, albeit very easy. There isn't even a class for it, they just gave us a bank of questions and answers (about 75, iirc), and out of the 75, 25 were picked for the test. This was in June of this year (2010).

Good call, for lunch, but I schedule my classes in March, when the dive season is slow, and the bugs start coming. Susie's Seafood has the most excellent boiled food in LA. Why can't I find Abita Amber in Morgan City?
Frank, try "Rouse's" they have Abita Amber. BTW I ran the Spree and the Fling in the 70's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom