Marine Biology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoyN:
I'll still be taking Biology class and marine related science as an elective class, would that help?

I'm not sure what the question is. Are you saying that the *marine biology* related components of your degree plan comprise only two courses; a (single) general biology class, and a "marine science" class?

How many semester credits worth of life sciences are in your degree plan?

According to the major Enviromental Science or Study, I still have to take Biology class which I already did, but don't have to take any chem class.

This doesn't sound right. Environmental science majors are supposed to have somewhere between 3-6 chemistry courses, and at least the equivalent amount of biology courses. Not to mention at least one course in geology, and possibly something in geography and/or computer science as well.

Two classes don't even meet half the credit hour requirements for an undergraduate minor.

You're not messing with me, are you?:D This is an *actual* major for a baccalaureate degree-granting college?

Check out this link --> http://www-marine.stanford.edu/careers.htm

And this one is good for a laugh --> http://www.lovelab.id.ucsb.edu/biologist.html

As someone who has had studied marine biology, I cannot stress enough the importance of being near an ocean when going through a marine biology program. Granted, not all of aquatic life is endemic to the ocean, e.g. critters that live in rivers/streams and riparian zones. Thus, such critters can be studied deep inland, but the discipline has an understandable emphasis on the vast diversity of life that lives in the ocean and studying at a location far from the beach would be pretty depressing for a marine biology student (and I can't think of any other academic discipline where beach parties are part of the curriculum). I can only endorse one program, but it is a wonderful one: http://www.uoregon.edu/~oimb/

OIMB accepts students from all universities, though the school itself is a division of the University of Oregon. Set on the beach, great facilities, excellent professors, research opportunities for undergrads, good food and drink, amazing place.

Check it out...

Sadamune

Sadamune:
I love it!

When I was at CAL the "environmental studies" stuff happened in the Department of Forestry in the College of Agriculture. That was the "mick" path for those who found that they were not cut out for the more demanding Zoology, Biology or Botany programs. This may not be true today, that was a while back.

If one is interested in marine sciences the first decision that you need to make is do you want to be a "Marine xxx" (where xxx = Biologist, Chemist, Geologist, Botanist, etc.) or an "Oceanographer." Oceanographic programs expect you to be competent in four marine disciplines, Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Physics and specialize in one of the four. They tend to be more "integrative." "Marine xxx" Programs tend to be more tightly focused and specialized and can even be just your own custom tuning of your course work to the marine world.

I suggest (as an Oceanographer) that anyone moving that way do, at least, majors math through linear algebra, the major's lower division series in Chemistry, Biology, Geology and Physics, Basic Statistics, Exploratory Data Analysis, Experimental Design, a survey course in electronics, a survey course in microprocessors and an introductory course in mechanical engineering. Major in the field that you're most interested in. That's a five year program, not four, and you'll still need to go to summer school to get it all done.

While your at it, take the research diving course and hand around to help teach it, learn to handle small boats, fix outboards and small marine diesels, troubleshoot marine electronics and learn to speak at least two foreign languages.

Do this and I promise you that you will spend the rest of your life being paid to go incredible places, do incredible dives and have someone else buy all the toys that you'll ever want and let you play with some that no one except Paul Allen could ever afford alone.

Thalassamania:
When I was at CAL the "environmental studies" stuff happened in the Department of Forestry in the College of Agriculture. That was the "mick" path for those who found that they were not cut out for the more demanding Zoology, Biology or Botany programs. This may not be true today, that was a while back.

Judging by the almost weedlike addition of environmental science degrees throughout so many colleges and universities over the last 15 years, I'd say the "mick path" has if anything, blossomed.:thumbs_down:

look at my cleverful use of two planty words in the same sentence.

Oh this reminds me of a good college joke.

What do you call someone who drops out of Veterinary School?

"Doctor".
:rofl3:

There are several reasons I became an oceanographic tech instead of an oceanographer-Calculus, Physics, Organic Chemistry, Statistics.

No complaints, I've travelled all over the world, met lots of interesting people and never had to apply for a grant or write a paper.

DennisS:
There are several reasons I became an oceanographic tech instead of an oceanographer-Calculus, Physics, Organic Chemistry, Statistics.

No complaints, I've travelled all over the world, met lots of interesting people and never had to apply for a grant or write a paper.
Marine Tech is great work, good pay, lots of neat stuff. Many of my best friends are Marine Techs (I know who to stay on the good side of, the Cook, the Techs and the Bosun. In that order.)

archman:
Judging by the almost weedlike addition of environmental science degrees throughout so many colleges and universities over the last 15 years, I'd say the "mick path" has if anything, blossomed.:thumbs_down:

look at my cleverful use of two planty words in the same sentence.

Oh this reminds me of a good college joke.

What do you call someone who drops out of Veterinary School?

"Doctor".
:rofl3:
Yer a blooming genius, but that was not a "drop out," that was someone who could not get in.:D

BTW: You know better, neither are "real" doctors, they're vets and physicians.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom