Marine Biology Jobs Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could always do do it like this guy...

image.jpg

It's a field with limited jobs and lots of highly qualified applicants for those jobs.

I work with a lot of Marine Biologists. It's 90% of my life supporting their efforts. Here is what I see.

Everyone wants to be a marine biologist, because dolphins are cute, sharks are fun and scary, and whales have a certain wow factor. Guess what? Sponge and algae need love too, but no one wants those jobs, because they don't involve cute sea creatures.

Starting jobs for BS Marine Biologists are aquarium cleaning, Disney if you are lucky and good looking, and asking if you'd like to supersize that. Internships for MS and PhD students include summer research cruises counting fish, performing benthic surveys, and working in a coral nursery, and maybe netting in Florida Bay for starfish. I know of a few masters graduates who make far less than I did with my high school diploma, and if you want a real job paying $45k a year, you will have to have a Phd. I know of one Marine Biologist working in an FTE position for FFWC who cannot get accepted into a PhD program because there just isn't room or funding for the slot. She has 2 master's degrees. Her grades were Dean's List for both Masters. She can't get a slot in grad school for a PhD. Granted, she is only looking in Florida, Rhode Island, or California.

Your alternative is to do something like I did. I joined the Navy, got my Engineer's Merchant Mariner's license, also my Captain's license, got a degree in Environmental Science and another in Nuclear Engineering Technology, worked for government and industry for 20 years, and put enough scratch away to buy a research vessel. I travel all over the Caribbean providing a work platform to perform other peoples research. Next week may be 250 foot rebreather dive to support benthic characterization of one of the most productive fisheries in the Gulf of Mexico, the following week it may be studying shark populations in the Bahamas. This fall we are bidding a month long fish and benthic survey of Curacou and Montserrat.

I prefer to be on the periphery of the research. They can't do it without me or someone like me to haul them around, make sure their cylinders are full, and record their depth and bottom times for their respective universities. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably persue a degree in Marine Engineering with an emphasis on running ROVs, or AUVs, or doing exactly what I do, driving a small research vessel.

One thing to consider is joining the NOAA corps. I have a sometimes deckhand who just interviewed. She has a masters in Marine Biology but can't find a FTE anywhere, so she will give the Corps a try for 4 years and see if she can't break into a job somewhere.

Good luck to you. You are trying to get into something that a zillion of cute young hotties also do every year. Tough to compete with someone who looks great in a bikini, sorry to say.

Check this out: Marine Biology Jobs, Employment in Florida | Indeed.com

All you see is:
Disney
Professor Jobs
And Aquarium Maintenance

On the world's second leading job site, the same search gets 0 results.

I want to be a marine biologist when I grow up, but my future doesn't look much promising. :depressed:

I suspect that a job listings web site like Indeed.com is not how many marine biologists or other PhD-level jobseekers find jobs. It may be "the world's second leading job site" overall (that is, averaged over all job categories), but it may not be the optimal way to find a job in every field. If marine biology is like other sciences, you would probably make contacts in the field while you're working on your degree or post-doctoral research. You would soon learn who is hiring for what positions in your area of specialization. There might also be organizations that people in the field join to review each other's research. The organizations often publish job listings that are found nowhere else. I have no clue about marine biology, but that's how other kinds of scientists tend to find positions.

I suspect that a job listings web site like Indeed.com is not how many marine biologists or other PhD-level jobseekers find jobs. ...

It's still "who you know".

There are some very enticing jobs on this list: [URL="http://www.marinetech.org/jobs/"]Marine Advanced Technology Education (MATE) Center Jobs page[/URL].

There are also a lot of spots for camp counselors opening up. Some of the camps arrange for a guest scientist to visit and lecture. This is cool, because you can meet local researchers in a nice setting this way. Sometimes they get excited to find a real marine scientist working with the kids.

Sometimes the guest scientist delivering the occasional talk is you, and the rest of the time your primary fish-related task is to hand out little orange fish-shaped crackers.

In a number of areas the top research jobs will be either at universities or major institutes and the ones who set the agenda are the Ph.D.s

It's still "who you know".
Get involved with these people also - for many marine bio research jobs you need their certification anyway.
Plus it's a good source for contacts. American Academy of Underwater Sciences - American Academy of Underwater Sciences

Something in Florida to keep current with: https://mote.org/about-us/employment-opportunities
or
Welcome to the Keys Marine Lab!

Nothing may come out of it but it can't hurt. I'm a supporting member of sharks.org. Thru them I've met one of the leading geneticists working on Whale shark genetic sequencing. Want to know how? She was a lecturer on a Utila research week trip that I won on eBay. And I got to dive with her that week - including doing some WS cell sampling. I still keep in touch via e-mail occasionally. My buddy shot some WS video recently and she used it in a presentation overseas. I have no involvement in marine biology other than liking to rec. dive and film things.

Know of one Marine Biologist PhD ( studied game fish off the NC coast) who wound up working for a major power company. They ran some nuclear power plants and used water from their own lakes for cooling. These lakes had to be managed so that the water was clean and did not foul their cooling towers but also healthy for the fish etc since the lakes also served recreational uses for good PR in the area. Point is that there are some not so obvious employers for biologists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom