Marine Biologists...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regarding where to focus your degree, do you intend to do field work or lab work? This should determine your course selection and where your specialty will lead to. I've found that field work is the most fun, but jobs like that are harder to come by and conditions are frequently cold, wet, and remote. Lab work usually means you can go home at the end of the day, and you can usually cross into biotechnology or medical work. A third fork that has been in vogue the past decade is the emergence of bioinformatics and GIS (basically, computer nerds) to manage large amounts of data. what type of marine biology research would you want to do?

I've been out of school for about 10 years now, and a specialized degree in a technical field (e.g. food science, inorganic chemistry, ecology) trumps a general BSc Bio, as long as the jobs you're applying for can overlap into your degree's specialty. In my experience, the majority of undergrads in the natural and applied sciences will end up with a general biology degree, although environmental studies is also similarly accessible. (i.e. it is what most people end up "switching" to) if you want to differentiate yourself in the crowd, experience (esp. in co-ops programs) is king, followed by a specialized undergraduate degree. you can still take courses in ecology, invertebrate zoology, and marine biology even if your degree says BSc. Biochemistry. definitely take courses that you're passionate about

use your time and the cheaper course fees in the community college to take a variety of courses, and move to a university when you're done "messing around" and want to get a degree. this will save money for you while you're sampling, and you'll be able to access graduate courses by going to uni. Out of school, the most important courses i've taken in my field are ones related to statistics, and courses with labs. an applied science course offered without lab component is almost worthless on a transcript.

the best thing about marine science is i don't have to wear a suit to work. (well, maybe a drysuit) in fact, i can wear whatever.

the worst thing about marine science is dry, cracked hands from all that saltwater.

best of luck.

Just a word on science training. Degree specialty is worth a lot less than a degree in general. So in general a degree in general biology will be just as good as a bachelors, in say, molecular biology. The point, as you aim towards the terminal degree of a PhD, is that you receive training in hypothesis formation and testing. Whatever degree gets you to the point where you are trained to answer the questions you are interested in will make life easier, but it will not excluded you from entering other fields once you finish your training. Point is, you dont need to just study fish all the time to study fish eventually--Im a molecular biologist, and if I wanted I feel I could do research on marine species were I inclined to do so.

I work with the marine biology department of FIU in Florida. These guys spend 90% of there time in the lab and 10% of there time in the field, but they love it (so do I) and there is nothing in the world they would rather do.

This is one reason why I became a dive bum instead of a lab based or classroom marine biologist. I spend much of my time underwater and only a little in the lab or classroom. However, as a marine educator, I do spend a lot of time in front of my computer editing my video footage into useful educational pieces for the general public.

It is a real shame that there is not more research in the marine sciences. The defense department does some, but much of that is of little interest to me. Funding is tight for research grants and jobs.

Some day our world will understand that the "economy" is largely a human construct and that the real support systems on our planet are based in ecology. Ot will be much too late to help me though, and there may not be much left to study at the rate things are going.

Ot will be much too late to help me though, and there may not be much left to study at the rate things are going.

There is so little we understand I feel like scientists wil have a job far into the future. Questions are plenty, but sadly funding is not.

If someone is interested in oceanography as a whole, rather than biology specifically, a job as a survey tech on a NOAA ship is a good way to go. You're spending 90% of the time doing field work. One trip may be biology, followed by a physical oceanography and then a chemistry trip. I had quite a few marine science graduates come out and pay off their student loans in a couple of years. A four year degree is not a requirement for the job. No rent, no food costs, short commute to work, no car.

It's an interesting job, pay is pretty good (with overtime) and a great way to see what oceanography is about. A side benefit is that you will be working with scientists from all over. Some of the techs move on to working for the govt labs. Federal pay and Federal benefits are also a good reason to work for NOAA.

You're out on a ship working with what could be your future boss for 30 days at a time, sometimes year after year. You get to know each other. When it's time to hire you're a known quantity, not an unknown off the street. The hiree usually is asked by the employer to list all their qualifications. The position is advertised, guess what qualifications are listed.

If a career is what you are looking for, there is also the opportunity to become a NOAA Corps Officer.

I would say Maritime college its a suny school and they have the best marine bio classes in the country very cheap sumthin under $10000 a year i forgot what. I am pursuing to be a marine biologist too Maritime is in upstate New York I know a couple of people that go there. Also if you go there they guarentee a job of a starting salary of $180000. I am planning to go there too.
Hoped thos helped

I would say Maritime college its a suny school and they have the best marine bio classes in the country very cheap sumthin under $10000 a year i forgot what. I am pursuing to be a marine biologist too Maritime is in upstate New York I know a couple of people that go there. Also if you go there they guarentee a job of a starting salary of $180000. I am planning to go there too.
Hoped thos helped

I'd check on that starting salary. It sounds like Capt and Chief Engineer pay, not third mate pay.

no im pretty sure its for every job when i find the brochure ill let u know

Hoped thos helped
Really ... the best marine bio classes in the country? Hardly, and they do not train scientists, they train ship's officers.
I'd check on that starting salary. It sounds like Capt and Chief Engineer pay, not third mate pay.
Yep, even in those cases that'd be high.
no im pretty sure its for every job when i find the brochure ill let u know
I rather doubt it.

Last edited:
Hoped thos helped
Maritime College's website ( http://www.sunymaritime.edu/ ) says: "The average starting salary for the undergraduate Class of 2009 was $62,600." – and of course no mention of a guarantee.

Maritime College is in Throgg's Neck (the Bronx), hardly upstate New York.
It does offer a degree in Marine Environmental Science with a Marine Biology Minor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom