Marina in Florida which coast???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwdiver2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been preparing to move my sailboat from Belize for the summers to Florida to have work done on it, make it more secure during hurricane season and generally be in a safer place during the summer when I’m not on it.

I thought the west coast then in the last month thought no east coast. Now Belize which only has been whacked every 9-10 years looks much better. How do good marinas fair when a cat 4-5 blows through? How is insurance for boats in the marinas, my boat is 51ft and I won’t be using it during the summer its just storage, would on shore work??

After the fourth in 6 weeks -----

Belieze doesn't look too bad from here! For storage there are a 2 or three marinas on the Caloosahatche River in Ft. Myers or La Belle that have dry storage. Big advantages - Cheaper, Safer in a storm, No growth on the boat.

Hell.........after this season I would head for the Pacific NW!

There are very few marina buildings that can withstand cat 4 and 5 hurricanes. Expect damage. Big boat. Big insurance. Hint....I live in the middle of Pinellas county in a no flood zone and my homeowners insurance canceled me even though I have never had a claim. My vote is for Belize.

nwdiver2:
I have been preparing to move my sailboat from Belize for the summers to Florida to have work done on it, make it more secure during hurricane season and generally be in a safer place during the summer when I’m not on it.

I thought the west coast then in the last month thought no east coast. Now Belize which only has been whacked every 9-10 years looks much better. How do good marinas fair when a cat 4-5 blows through? How is insurance for boats in the marinas, my boat is 51ft and I won’t be using it during the summer its just storage, would on shore work??

Insurance will give you a better break if you put it on the hard (take it out of the water completely) or take it below the 12th parallel. However, if you do take it out of the water you will incur travellift costs, which can be considerable for a 51 footer.

That being said, if you are really set on FL, the West coast will be better protected and cheaper than the East, despite what this year has been like.

When a hurricane blows through no marina is really safe. Afterall, it's not just YOUR boat you need to be aware of, but the others as well: nothing like having YOUR boat well secured only to have another one break it's moorings & ram into it. :cry:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom