Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Random Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, saving up for a BP/W for now, needed some feedback on the Mares XR wing (singles). Haven't been able to get a lot of reviews on this model, so wondering about its performance.

For now, undecided between the MARES wing, HOG wing, or IST Dolphin Tech Wing, as these are around the same prices in my area.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

*Link of the MARES wing I am referring to
DONUTS SINGLE - BC - XR

Hopefully these will help you.

@Lake Hickory Scuba

Thanks a lot for the videos, those were actually among the first few videos that made me subscribe to your channel some time ago!:)

Back to the wing, would appreciate it if you could give me a more in-depth insight on the XR single tank wing as most of the reviews I saw just gave an overview of the features of the wing.

For example, strengths and weaknesses of this wing compared to other wings, feedback and complaints (if any) from customers, real life performance, things to look out for before pulling the trigger on this particular wing etc.

Don't have much experience in purchasing wings, appreciate it if you could help me out on this.

@Lake Hickory Scuba

Thanks a lot for the videos, those were actually among the first few videos that made me subscribe to your channel some time ago!:)

Back to the wing, would appreciate it if you could give me a more in-depth insight on the XR single tank wing as most of the reviews I saw just gave an overview of the features of the wing.

For example, strengths and weaknesses of this wing compared to other wings, feedback and complaints (if any) from customers, real life performance, things to look out for before pulling the trigger on this particular wing etc.

Don't have much experience in purchasing wings, appreciate it if you could help me out on this.

Thanks for the Subscribe. In regards to the single wing, I have used it since it's first release on the American market. I first started with a single tank adapter, simply because I did not trust the built in tank cradle, which is two tubes sewn over with webbing, to keep the tank and BCD lined up straight. But after several dives, I took the STA off, and began to experiment with just using the wing. The benefit I discovered was, I could very easily disassemble the entire rig, for a more thorough cleaning, without having to deal with any hardware, wingnuts, bolts, etc. This made it very convenient as well, for storage and travel. It also eliminated an extra pound of weight for flying purposes. Moreover, eliminating the STA, allows for a much slimmer profile in the water. The low pressure inflator is very rigid, and can take a beating, unlike a typical inflator on a commercialized BCD. Most bladders designed for Back Plate and Wings are just as rigid. It also has a very slow fill rate, when you depress the power inflator. This prevents too much air from entering in the wing at one time. This summer, I made over 50 penetrating wreck dives with it, snagging it multiple times, with no tears or visible damage to the wing, so quality of the material I give it a 10 out of 10. Deciding between the 22 lb lift or the 34 pound lift is the hardest decision. I chose the 34 lb, just so I could have a little bit of extra lift while using steels, and for when I go ice diving and have to load up on weights. The only complaint I have, yet easily fixable, is the string on the dump valve at the bottom of the wing. With thick gloves, it tends to be a little too difficult to pull the dump, so I had to add a knot or two, just to increase the size of the end of the string. This gives me a little something extra to grab, especially when I lose all dexterity while wearing thick gloves. Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, really helpful!

Just one more thing on my mind, with this wing, would it fit the typical backplate with 11'' of space between the holes?

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, really helpful!

Just one more thing on my mind, with this wing, would it fit the typical backplate with 11'' of space between the holes?

Yes. The holes on this wing are 11 inches apart.

The only complaint I have, yet easily fixable, is the string on the dump valve at the bottom of the wing. With thick gloves, it tends to be a little too difficult to pull the dump, so I had to add a knot or two, just to increase the size of the end of the string.

Bryan, I have three questions about the wing: First, what is the bladder material? Neither your video are the Simply Scuba one actually unzip the wing. Second, are the wing fittings standard? Most wings are the same except for Apeks, I want to know if Mares went their own way also. Finally, does the wing have pull dumps on both sides? It may seem stupid question but someone posted a photo showing two fittings at the bottom of the wing. One was had the dump while the other was plugged.

Bryan, I have three questions about the wing: First, what is the bladder material? Neither your video are the Simply Scuba one actually unzip the wing. Second, are the wing fittings standard? Most wings are the same except for Apeks, I want to know if Mares went their own way also. Finally, does the wing have pull dumps on both sides? It may seem stupid question but someone posted a photo showing two fittings at the bottom of the wing. One was had the dump while the other was plugged.

Great questions. The inner bladder is made from Black Polyurethane. The outer bladder is made from 1200D BulletProof Nylon and 600D Polyester Exterior. And unfortunately, there is only one kidney pull dump on the right hand side. Lastly, I can not answer the last part. I have not tried to retro fit any fittings from other manufactures onto my wing. However, the internal o-ring is the same as with any other Mares BCD's from the recreational line. But I don't know if the thread size is the same with other manufactures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom