Mares X Stream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a recreational diver only...single tank and wetsuit only. Dive in lakes and a few trips each year. I need new fins, in fact I've been saying that for about 2 years! Any way, my local shop recommended the Mares X Stream. Any thoughts? I don't mind spending $200 but there are certainly cheaper options....and they don't come with spring straps.

I love mine but not sure that's of any real help to you. :)

I have a pair that I used for a while. They are fine for basic flutter kick, and Ok for frog kick. Their light weight makes them good for travel. Weakness would be in the back kick and other precision maneuvering. I eventually switched to the Mares Excel+ fins, which have been excellent in all respects. The new Mares power Planas have also been very favorably mentioned. These models are available with the new bungee straps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are a very expensive fin. I tried some out in a pool once, admittedly I didn't exactly put them through their paces but did find them a little floppy. As another member has mentioned the Avanti Quattro Plus are a very nice fin, cheaper too. There have been some reports of the X-Streans breaking at the hinge. I'm not sure how common this is though but it's enough for me not to buy a pair particularly when you can get more robust fins for cheaper i.e Quattro Plus.

Hmm . .. i almost never flutter kick, almost exclusively use frog kick. Have been having trouble with the back kick but figured that was user technique not the fins.

I do love that they are light for travel and fit perfectly in my checked bag. Any longer and that would be a problem. I used to get cramps but no longer. Love these fins but yes, a bit expensive.

Haven't had any trouble with the "hinge". They don't come with spring straps but an easy fit for the Mares Spring Straps. Of course, then you're paying even more.

Do you have any old/new injuries in hips/knees or such. I do and that's another reason I love these fins. If you don't, why is your dive shop recommending these fins to you? Or was it just one of their suggestions?

I sold mine as I did not like the feedback they gave. I now have Hollis F2 that are very light and I love them.

Good only for back kick style you can change the straps . the straps are changeable mares offers a spring straps which will fit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom