Mares Wetsuits and gears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nns91

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I have set my mind on Mares Trilastic 8-6-5. However, I am wondering that if it is much thicker than the 5-4-3 version ? I know it's a 2mm difference but how big of a difference it is in term of warmth ? I am 5'7", 125 lbs so I should go for small right ?

Also, I am hesitating between the 5mm Classic Boots and the 5mm Trilastic Boots, which one should I go for ? I wear 8.5-9 normal size shoes. What size should I get for diving boots ?

For fins, I think I will go for the Raptors (I want to try split fin, any comment on this ?). However, I don't know which size I should get. Should I get Small (6-9) or Medium (9-11) ?

So I have set my mind on Mares Trilastic 8-6-5. However, I am wondering that if it is much thicker than the 5-4-3 version ? I know it's a 2mm difference but how big of a difference it is in term of warmth ? I am 5'7", 125 lbs so I should go for small right ?

Also, I am hesitating between the 5mm Classic Boots and the 5mm Trilastic Boots, which one should I go for ? I wear 8.5-9 normal size shoes. What size should I get for diving boots ?

For fins, I think I will go for the Raptors (I want to try split fin, any comment on this ?). However, I don't know which size I should get. Should I get Small (6-9) or Medium (9-11) ?

Hi, Well you ask a couple of very subjective questions. The thickness of the suit should be determined by your tolerance for cold, as well as what temperature water you will be diving in most. I dive CA quite a bit and the water will fluctuate between hi 40's to mid 70's depending upon the season. I prefer the 8mm suit primarily because I tend to get colder. I also due repetitive dives resulting in core temperature loss throughout the day. The thicker suit allows me to do more diving comfortably. You are probably a size small.

I suggest you splurge and go for the trilastic boots. They are more comfortable, provide arch support, and have a heel tab designed to keep the fin strap on more securely. Go with size 9, better to be a little big than too tight.

Raptor is a good fin. Style of fins really comes down to personal preference. If you are inclined to go with the split technology, then rest assured you will be using a great product.

Thanks for your questions, I hope I've helped.

P.S. It is always best to try on apparel (shoes / wetsuits) if possible to get the best fit for your body.

Best regards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom