Mares vs Scuba Pro. Like Night and day.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miskatonic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Up until now I have been diving with a set of Mares Avani fins. They are a basic paddle fin. We do a lot of surface swimming. These fins were becoming a major drag for me when diving. I was getting leg craps and was not able to keep up with the other divers. In all honesty I was miserable with my selection in fins. I only spent about $60 on them. I did not do enough research because I didn’t think fin style was all that important.

I recently switched to Scuba Pro Twin jet fins. (Yellow Hi Visibility) The difference is like night and day. I actually feel more like a fish when swimming with the Twin Jets. I can go a lot faster with a whole lot less effort. I honestly could not rave enough about how amazing these fins are. This was the first time in diving that I did not get a leg cramp. I was able to out swim most of the other divers as well.

These fins greatly increased my air consumption. I was able to get more bottom time. These fins are incredible. Well worth the $190 (including tax) I paid for them. If you are going to buy a set of fins give serious consideration to the Scuba Pro Twin Jets.

miskatonic:
These fins were becoming a major drag for me when diving. I was getting leg craps and was not able to keep up with the other divers.

I hate it when I get leg Craps! :wink:

Yea, split fins rock... if you like the twin jets at $190, it's too bad you didn't try the bio fins at 139... Much better in the water, not to mention, much better in the wallet.

miskatonic:
Up until now I have been diving with a set of Mares Avani fins. They are a basic paddle fin. We do a lot of surface swimming. These fins were becoming a major drag for me when diving. I was getting leg craps and was not able to keep up with the other divers. In all honesty I was miserable with my selection in fins. I only spent about $60 on them. I did not do enough research because I didn’t think fin style was all that important.

I recently switched to Scuba Pro Twin jet fins. (Yellow Hi Visibility) The difference is like night and day. I actually feel more like a fish when swimming with the Twin Jets. I can go a lot faster with a whole lot less effort. I honestly could not rave enough about how amazing these fins are. This was the first time in diving that I did not get a leg cramp. I was able to out swim most of the other divers as well.

These fins greatly increased my air consumption. I was able to get more bottom time. These fins are incredible. Well worth the $190 (including tax) I paid for them. If you are going to buy a set of fins give serious consideration to the Scuba Pro Twin Jets.
Couple of questions:
Where are you trying to get when rushing somewhere and why would you want to out swim other diver? :06:
Did the fins increase your air consumption or your bottom time? I'm just asking because those 2 things actually rule each other out. :wink:

aquaoren:
Couple of questions:
Where are you trying to get when rushing somewhere and why would you want to out swim other diver? :06:

Maybe he just needs to keep up with the other diver as he has splits too! And I think he meant decreased.. not increased.

Objective tests do not confirm the performance claim for twin jet fins. Take the "hydro vents" for example. Tests done at the University of Rochester show that no water flows through the Scubapro type vent when the diver is in forward motion. If one needs a point of comparison, tests done by Scubalab and Jim Grier suggest better performance for the Scubapro twin speed than for the twin jet. While the Mares Plana Avanti (is that your fin?), an older design, is not the top paddle fin, other Mares paddle fins can match or outspeed the twin jet. However, the Mares Quattro, while slightly faster than the twinjet, requires higher effort. Some split fins have very pronounced offset blades which make them less suitable for surface swimming. If doing surface swimming, and the foot size is not too large, the Mares Plana Avante Tre would be the one to beat. I'm not sure what a Mares "Avani" is, exactly. It makes one wonder whether miscatonic actually ever used these fins. The twin jet is a competent fin, overpriced to be sure. However, it is not good enough to garner a rave review like the above.

scubatoys:
Maybe he just needs to keep up with the other diver as he has splits too! And I think he meant decreased.. not increased.
Maybe. But in my experience, most recreational diver who "speed" are doing so because they are trying to compensate for lack of buoyancy control.

Glad you like them, whatever the university of rochester thinks. I also changed from a cheaper paddle fin to the twin jets earlier in the year and had the same result.. no more leg cramps and foot cramps, reduced air consumption, and greater comfort.
Of course, I only used the old fins for 3 years before getting the splits.

Fin preference is a very personal thing and depends a lot on the divers physical atributes, configuration, divign environment and personal mindset and biases toward fins. In the end, we are just fortunate to have a lot of fin designs to argue about as there is something for everyone.

Personally I have used Mares Plana Avanti fins (and their Sherwood Genesis clones)with my drysuit due to the wide foot pocket. In the distant past I used Mares Power Plana Graphite fins (mid to late 80's) when drift diving in very strong currents and have never found anything before or since that could match their brute thrust (or their brute demands on your leg muscles to achieve that thrust - you cannot comment on a "stiff" fin unless you have used a pair of those).

I have tried spilt fins including Biofins, and Scubapro's Twin Speed and Twin Jet fins (and I rank them in that order of preference.) I have also used Mares Avanti Quattro fins and like them as well although as stated abouve they require more muscle to get the extra performance.

But over the years I have consistently preferred my tried and true Scubapro Jet Fins for their overall performance and as soon as they came out in XXL with a larger and wider foot pocket, I went back to them.

You can argue about whether the vents on the Scubapro Jet Fins have any effect or not, but the fins themselves offer an excellent balance of speed, power, maneuverability and efficiency that has so far, based on 20 years of experience trying numerous different fins, has been impossible to beat for my specific needs.

Split fins are the current fad and have ardent fans who may benefit from them, particularly if they lack the leg strenght to efficiently use a larger, stiffer fin, but I never found them to have the power needed to propel a diver in a drysuit and set of doubles in a current and I have never found them to be well suited to alternative kicks, helicopter turns, backing up, etc.

But again, individual requirements, preferences and attitudes vary, so go with whatever makes you happy.

I tried about 6 kinds of fins even the bios. The Twin jets were the best. IMO. I felt like I was dying with the Mares fins. The twin jets really work well for me. I would be hard pressed to find any other kind of fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom