Mares V16 Proton Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcain1

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new regulator. I had thought about the Mares V16 Proton Regulator. Does anybody like or dislike this regulator?
I don't really want to spend a ton of cash but want to get a good reg.
Thanks

rcain1:
I am looking to get a new regulator. I had thought about the Mares V16 Proton Regulator. Does anybody like or dislike this regulator?
I don't really want to spend a ton of cash but want to get a good reg.
Thanks

Greetings from Tennessee!

I have a Proton octo on my V16 Orbiter setup and I really like having it as my safe second. It breathes easy at any depth and position. I have had it in 42 degree F water many times and it has never frozen up on me.

Hope this helps!

Hi

My husband and I both have a V16 Proton and we love it. It is very lightweight and the hose is quite flexable. We just got back from Bonaire. That was our first time using it. We purchased it from the Scuba Toys web site. For an octo we purchased an Aeris Gyro. Got a great deal.

Karen

I have a V16 Proton that I use with a long hose Hogarthian rig. It has been used in water as cold as 34 degrees (ice still floating at the surface) and has never free flowed. It is very stable and the inhalation is particularly smooth. I have never noticed any positive pressure in any position. The bubble dispersion is somewhat of a problem in certain head positions, such as if taking a photograph in a more vertical orientation. This is very common with small second stages, and is not a point of great concern.

My wife has an MR12 Proton. Two of my buddies use the Protons for their technical diving. One uses the MR12 variety with the other opting for the V16.

While I own several MR12 first stage regs, I really like the hose routing of the V16. It also uses the SCS (spherical core seat) which generally has a longer service life between rebuilds.

I highly urge you to contact Larry at www.scubatoys.com The last time that I checked they had the V16 at a super price.

Greg
Former Science Editor of Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Greg,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have heard good things about the V16 and was looking forward to a few good replies.
And yes, I had seen it on SCUBA toys. $150 bucks less than my local dive shop. That is too much of a difference.
Thanks

just took my new v16 proton for it's first dives at the weekend, really liked it, found it breathed better when i was horizontal rather than vertical, but either way was as good as anything i had rented before, i like the small compact size of the second stage, overall very happy with it...this is the first reg i have owned.

Hi,

I have a Mares Proton V16 with the Aeris Gyro. It breathes easily at 10 ft or 130 ft. Only thing I will change out is my mouthpiece (not as comfortable as I would like). Yep, get your reg at Scubatoys.com.

Mel

Mares is making very solid, reliable and easy breathing regs.
You've made a good choice and will not regret it.
Oren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom