mares V16 proton problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really the V32 would not change the breathing of the reg... Unless something was really wrong with it. I'm pretty sure you're just experiencing the difference between the B2 second stage (awsome breathing reg) and the proton...

If you pop off the 2nd stages and switch them, I'll bet you 3 cents that you'll find the B2 breathes better on the V32 than the proton does on the Atomic 1st...

1st stages have to supply air - but 2nd stages are what determines if they breathe easy or not...

Please excuse my lack of knowledge about the inner workings of 1st stages, but it failed both times with a high pressure air leak somewhere under the plastic top. After checking all the O rings on the ports, the customer service person at Diver's Direct could not identify it and said it had to go back to the manufacturer. Luckily, both times it happened was when I connected it to the tank and turned on the pressure and not when I was at 90 feet. I am very carefull to turn my tanks on slowly and I take very good care of all my equipment, so it was never abused. I have used it it temperatures as low as 47 degrees and as high as 81.

While this post was from a while ago, after reading thru the experience, it doesn't seem to have been addressed.
As an owner of 6 Protons and a v16 first stage, I think I've seen this same issue described above (and something that can happen with any 1st stage unit)

What I discovered was that the hex-nut that screws into the 1st stage body holding the yoke, would get loose on my v16.
When this nut loosened up, I'd end up with a high pressure leak that appeared to be coming from under the plastic housing of the v16.

Since all 1st stages have this similar screw in nut, making sure this is tight / seated = no leak.
If you still have this reg, try tightening this.

Back
Top Bottom