mares V16 proton problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdf

Contributor
Reaction score
Last year I bought a Mares V16 proton from Divers Direct. I really liked it because it was small and did not feel heavy in my small mouth. In less than 6 months the 1st stage failed. I returned it to Divers Direct who very promptly replaced it with a brand new one without any hassle. This past week, I was aboard the Cayman Aggressor and halfway through the trip, I had the exact same failure at about the same lifespan of the reg. Has anyone else had a problem with this regulator? I don't want to get a replacement because my trust in this product has drasticly reduced, but I like the small compact 2nd stage. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

jdf:
Last year I bought a Mares V16 proton from Divers Direct. I really liked it because it was small and did not feel heavy in my small mouth. In less than 6 months the 1st stage failed. I returned it to Divers Direct who very promptly replaced it with a brand new one without any hassle. This past week, I was aboard the Cayman Aggressor and halfway through the trip, I had the exact same failure at about the same lifespan of the reg. Has anyone else had a problem with this regulator? I don't want to get a replacement because my trust in this product has drasticly reduced, but I like the small compact 2nd stage. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

As a happy owner of an V16 Orbiter/Proton safe second reg system, I must say this finds me somewhat puzzled. My V16 Orbiter was the first reg I bought, and I too liked the Proton's size and weight so I replaced the original safe second with the Proton.

The V16 has NEVER failed me over it's entire life. I bought it back in 2000, and other than the annual maintenance, it's not been in the shop. It has dove in 89 degree water, and in 38 degree water. Fresh water and Salt Water.

The inner workings of the V16 1st stage is really quite simple. It does sound like there are some very strange problems in it though. Does the SPG indicate air is available?

I'm sorry I wasn't any more help than this, but this has me totally puzzled as I said earlier...

Randy Cain

I used to dive with the Mares V16 for several years, and have had no problems with it. How exactly did your regualtor fail? I've heard that the MR12 first stage had a problem with the HP seat, and was prone to fail in a relatively sort amount of time. But, the V16 is supposed to be a pretty tough 1st stage.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge about the inner workings of 1st stages, but it failed both times with a high pressure air leak somewhere under the plastic top. After checking all the O rings on the ports, the customer service person at Diver's Direct could not identify it and said it had to go back to the manufacturer. Luckily, both times it happened was when I connected it to the tank and turned on the pressure and not when I was at 90 feet. I am very carefull to turn my tanks on slowly and I take very good care of all my equipment, so it was never abused. I have used it it temperatures as low as 47 degrees and as high as 81.

jdf:
Thanks.

I've been a Mares tech for quite some time, and am very surprised that Divers Direct would need to send the reg back to Mares. I would be very interested in knowing exactly what the problem consisted of. The quality of manufacture is normally of very high standards with Mares regs. The V16 has been a great seller, and common problems of this sort are rare.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor of Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I shipped it off to Divers Direct yesterday. I'll keep you posted on what they say.

Well, here is what happened. Divers Direct got my V16 on Friday. I called them Monday morning and they hadn't looked at it yet, but I asked them if I could replace the 1st stage with a V32. They looked it over and called me back later that day and said that the failure was a high pressure failure. They traced it as far as the inner workings and stopped there because they knew they would have to replace it instead of fix it. So I never found out exactly what the failure was, or why it failed. After having this fail twice I was reluctant to use it again. Over the weekend, I tried out my husband's Atomic B2 which is nice, but I missed the small second stage and could feel the difference in increased drag with the B2. I decided to try the V32 and if I still have problems, I will replace it with a B2. Divers Direct's customer service was excellent and they are replacing the V16 with the V32 for only $24 and shipping it back to me today.

Greg, thanks for the info on the reg. I also talked to my LDS that services Mares and they, too, were puzzled and have never seen a failure like this. I had my husband (very experienced diver of 30 years) watch me as I attached it to a tank and unattached it and he said that I wasn't doing anything wrong. I take exceptional care of my gear since I am also a parachutist and know that gear abuse can kill you. I just wish I could solve this mystery.

janet

Janet,

I have yet to hear any bad reports on Divers Direct. I make fairly regular trips to Key Largo and always stop by that locale to just browse. The staff has always been very friendly, and willing to answer any questions.

That said...The whole HP problem is really odd, as the V16 design allows for the entire valve assembly to be replaced in sections. The original MR16 even used a replacable seat assembly. If the SCS poppet is defective then it can create a problem irregardless of the seat condition. Perhaps this is the part to which they refer as they are rather expensive. I would think that Divers Direct would actually have them in stock due to their volume of Mares regs. Oh, well...Don't be too dismayed. There are few manufacturers who haven't had their share of such incidents.

The replacement of the V16 with the V32 is an excellent deal for such a low amount of cash. I trust that you will be very pleased.

Best wishes, and safe diving.

Greg

jdf:
Well, here is what happened. Divers Direct got my V16 on Friday. I called them Monday morning and they hadn't looked at it yet, but I asked them if I could replace the 1st stage with a V32. They looked it over and called me back later that day and said that the failure was a high pressure failure. They traced it as far as the inner workings and stopped there because they knew they would have to replace it instead of fix it. So I never found out exactly what the failure was, or why it failed. After having this fail twice I was reluctant to use it again. Over the weekend, I tried out my husband's Atomic B2 which is nice, but I missed the small second stage and could feel the difference in increased drag with the B2. I decided to try the V32 and if I still have problems, I will replace it with a B2. Divers Direct's customer service was excellent and they are replacing the V16 with the V32 for only $24 and shipping it back to me today.

Greg, thanks for the info on the reg. I also talked to my LDS that services Mares and they, too, were puzzled and have never seen a failure like this. I had my husband (very experienced diver of 30 years) watch me as I attached it to a tank and unattached it and he said that I wasn't doing anything wrong. I take exceptional care of my gear since I am also a parachutist and know that gear abuse can kill you. I just wish I could solve this mystery.

janet

I just got home from a week in the Bahamas and made a total of 14 dives. I was not impressed with the V32. It seemed to breathe harder that the V16. I tried my husbands B2 out on one dive the last day. Sold! I will replace my V32 as soon as I save up the money. Anyone want to by a Mares V32 1st and 2nd stage?

Janet

Back
Top Bottom