Mares V16 Epos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are "DIN to Yoke" adapters available for the Mares regs (V16)?
I've seen "Yoke to DIN" adapters at a LDS, but they did not carry "DIN to Yoke" apdaters (I'm assuming it's because this particular LDS does not carry DIN first stages).

I'll need a DIN first stage because I'm getting a Faber HP100 tank. But, not all dive boats in this area (SoCal) can charge tanks with DIN valves. I'll need an adapter when I rent or borrow tanks.

FishKiller,
When I mentioned that the LPO's (octo) can be breathed upside down, I wasn't refering to breathing it while swimming upside down. I was referring to the fact that, LPO's can be breathed with the mouthpiece upside down in your mouth. Can't do this with most other octo's.

Sorry for not being more clear.

I knew that is what you meant but hey something else to do

the LPO worked well with the V16 EPOS

in all four positions

diver right side up LPO right side up

diver right side up LPO upside down

diver upside down LPO right side up

diver upside down LPO upside down

need to add that the EPOS worked while facing up towards the surface

Sounds great!

I think I'll be to getting the V16 + Epos too; as soon as I can confirm that I can get a DIN to yoke apdapter for it.

New problem...
Recently, I've been telling my GF how cool the V16 + Epos is, so much that she wants one too ... and her birthday is only a few weeks away...

Well the gear I ordered from DiveINN came in on Friday. Everything looks pretty good. Funny though, it looks like they stamped the Warranty cards for the V16 Epos and Axis Octo with their info on it. So I am assuming that if something goes wrong it will be covered by manufacturer warranty but only through DiveINN so I would have to send it back to them for service right? Also, isn't there dealer preps that need to be done to these regs before using and I don't think that DiveINN does that...or do they?

Anyway if you can't tell I'm new to this game but I think I am pretty informed from doing tons of research, still I know nothing beats experience.

Me and my fiance went to our first scuba class last night. Brought in all the stuff we ordered from DiveINN to take a look at and tell us what they thought, knowing they were gonna be pissed that we didn't buy through them. Saved over $1,000 though, so we couldn't bring ourselves to buy from them just for the extra service we might get. And go figure the guy basically said we could've got better gear. Really, well no $hit, if we wanted to spend hundreds or thousands more we could have the best gear out there, but we are just looking to sport dive so I think we will be fine. Not to dog on him though, he's a very, very good teacher. I guess he's an instructor's instructor. Anyway...nuff ramblin'....late

..and I'm completely satisfied with it. The reg droops a little out of the water because of it's weight, but in the water I don't have any problems with it. The hose stiffness poses no problems for me either. It breathes well in all positions at depth. I was looking at the MR12 1st stage and my LDS said they only sell the Epos with the V16 1st stage because the piston thingy that seats against the valve inside the 1st stage (I'm sure there is someone who can explain it better than me) is Spherical and not flat like in the MR12. As the flat ones wear out, they get a groove in them at the point of contact and this hinders the seal it makes. As the spherical piston thingies wear out they maintain a spherical shape which prevents the seal from being degraded like with the flat piston thingies. I forget the name of the little piston thingies. The LDS owner drew me a little diagram and showed me some worn out piston thingies that he had on hand...It made sense when HE explained it...
The only thing that I would complain about with the V16 Epos is the mouthpiece. The little bite down grips are at the front of the mouthpiece and this is the only real place where your mouth supports the reg. After a while it starts to cramp your jaw a bit. This can easily be fixed by switching the mouthpiece (which I have not yet done) to a sea cure mouthpiece which costs about $25 to $30. That seems a bit expensive to me for a mouthpiece. There's also another type of mouthpiece( I forget the name) that was designed by a dentist. It's about the same as the Mares mouthpiece except it has a little ridge that rests against the back of your front top teeth and a little of the roof of your mouth. They are used on the Aqualung LX regs and they are more comfortable. I got my OW cert with an Aqualung LX and didn't have any problems with my jaw cramping up. The dentist mouth piece with the name I can't remember costs about $12 or so, and is the one I'll probably get for my reg. I see I'm a little late with this info, but I hope this helps.

I just got my self a V16 + Epos last weeked. I bought mine at a LDS, but I got a real good Christmas season price for it. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. Maybe I will this weekend. I can see why the mouthpiece on this reg isn't so popular; there's not a lot to bite down on. I replaced the mouth piece with the Aqua Lung "comfo-bite" mouth piece. It now feels great (out of the water...).

I am using the MR-12, which is a lessre model to the V-16.

I am using it with the Epos 2nd stage and axis Octo. I got it for aroun 300$ for the complete set at Scuba Network in NYC.

They breath very easy but don't tend freeflow. I think you'll enjoy them.

As for DIN to Yoke adapter, try looking into the Reg Accessories section at www.diversdirect.com .

Ari :D

I recently got a Mares Epos II and have been very pleased with it. It is well-balanced and breathes right no matter what depth I have been at (down to 120' with this one) nor orientation (I like to swim on my back looking up. You'd be surprised at how many regs don't handle this well).

The only thing I would say is get yourself one of the SeaCure-type replacement mouthpieces. Many of the regs come with a mouthpiece that has the bite parts only in the back. This made me feel like the thing was hanging off and pulling. The SeaCure has bite wings all around, for a more even fit.

Back
Top Bottom