Mares Tutor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Scubaboard!
I'm fairly new to diving (20 dives or so), and I've just recently got my own gear, including a Mares Tutor computer. What really bugs me is:
1) When I'm ascending the thing is bleeping away even though I'm well within my safe ascent rate. The computer has different warning rates depending on depth, shallower=slower. I was taught 15m/min maximum, the computer starts bleeping at 10 m/min when I'm around safety stop depth.
2) I (and all my dive club) do a 3 minute safety stop at 6 metres. This computer needs you to be between 3.5 and 5m or else it literally puts a cross against your "underwater behaviour". The instruction manual also advises a 3-5 minute safety stop at 5-7 metres. So that means Mares advise two safety stops, for up to eight minutes total? Air's too precious for that.
3) Even when I'm on the safety stop, the computer is bleeping again as I inhale/exhale, gently bobbing between 5.5-6.5 m.
When I plot my dive profiles, everything is calm and smooth, but the computer takes instantaneous ascent rates and logs bad "underwater behaviour".

Am I just paranoid? It seems fine apart from being a bit too nervous!

Cheers,
ScubaDoobyDoo

New equipment... ain't it great?

First of all, dive PCs tend to be complicated little things. Yes, I know they're supposed to make our lives easier, but sometimes they confuse us a bit first :wink:

I'd advise a good read through the manual to acquaint yourself with the quirks/programming of your particular dive PC. No, I'm NOT being condescending! After having my current PC for over two years, I still find there are things I need to look up every once in a while.

Once you have done that you will understand what/why your PC behaves the way it does. And be able to work WITH the PC instead of AGAINST it..."use the PC, Luke!"

IOW, you will have to learn to dive the way the PC works, not the other way around. For example, many dive PCs are more conservative when it comes to ascent rate than what the major certifying agencies teach. So naturally it will tell you that ascending at 15m/m is "too fast" when it is programmed for 10m/m.

As I see it you have two choices: either learn to dive WITH your PC, or buy yourself another PC that more closely resembles your diving style.

BTW, diving is a fluid sport (no pun intended). Things can and do change quickly. You'll have more fun and gain better dive experience by being more flexible in your thinking/ actions.

Good luck!

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom