Mares Semidrysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akbonsangue

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to buy a wetsuit to dive from the channel islands to monterey, CA, and am considering 2 wetsuits. One is a o'neill suit, the 7000 J series, which is a monster wetsuit, with an internal bib and integrated hood. It is kind of difficult to put on/off though. The other is the Mares semidrysuit wetsuit, which comes with hood but appears to not be integrated. They are the same price. Are the Mares ones really warm? Which one should I go with?

Thanks!

I've used the Mares semidry in 55 F water and it was fine. Very warm, minimal water transfer given the dry suit wrist and ankle seals. I come out mostly dry after dives even though I "burp" the suit once in the water just prior to the dive to remove air pockets that form underneath.

It's easy to put on and off although you might find the drysuit zipper on the back a bit awkward on land; feels like you're still on a hanger. Also you will need someone to help with the zip since it's on the back. Underwater, you don't notice a thing.

I have a Mares Exotherm semi-wet wetsuit. It's pretty nice. Takes a little time getting use to. If I do four or five dives in a day it chaffes a little under the armspits. It's pretty warm for diving here in SoCal. Monterey? You might consider going dry...

If you need to start considering "monster" wet suits with lots of features its time to realise that a dry suit wont cost much more than that and will also be warmer.

For a dive if someone says "You'll be fine in a really good wetsuit" what they really mean is "its much more comfortable in a dry suit".

Hi all,
The Mares Isotherm is the perfect suit for Monterey to So Cal 48* - 70*. Although 70* is getting a little on the warm side. The nice thing about the hood being independant is it makes it easier to flush water in if you want. It is also a great compromise if you are not ready to invest in a drysuit (isotherm is not nearly the cost of a drysuit). If it fits well, it will literally keep you dry for short period of its life and then warm until it's life has expired. I just came back from 3 days diving the Channel Islands for lobster. Found I was a little too warm, primarily because I was swimming very hard. Found I was opening the neck seal to let some water in every so often. If I were to slow down and just cruise, or take pics, no problem.

you might find the drysuit zipper on the back a bit awkward on land; feels like you're still on a hanger. Also you will need someone to help with the zip since it's on the back. Underwater, you don't notice a thing

Just a note about the zipper. I don't know if you have an older suit with the YKK zipper (standard drysuit zip)? The 2006 and soon to be 2007 models have what is called a TI zip. This is still a dry zipper, yet is lower profile, way more flexible, and stronger, plus it's virtually indestructable, unlike it's predecessor. While you will feel it, it is not nearly as noticable and you will become used to it in no time. Yep the reality is you will need to ask someone to zip you. Never found that to be a problem.

Hope this helps a little.

I use an Isotherm typically in 50 F Irish waters. I'm really pleased with the suit. Its warm, comfortable and actually keeps me dry. Usually the only reason I'd come out wet after a dive is if I start to sweat. As long as you get a good fit and fold the seals in on themselves you won't go far wrong with an isotherm. As Zak said, do go for the '06/'07 model as the dry zip is stronger, more flexible and easier to maintain than older models. (Its also a really cool looking suit! :14::D)
Let us know how you get on.

Hope this helps!

They probably have a slightly different cut. I'd go with the one that fits better. My gf has the O'Neill 7000x J-type with attached hood and it's hard for her to get on/off because the fit is so snug and there are no zippers (except at the back of course), but a snug fit and no zippers makes it warmer.

Just a note - Scubatoys has the new model for less than $250 - a great deal.

I have an older Isotherm and love it. I did need to have the legs and arms shortened as their models seem to run long.

Also note that Scuba Discounters has the O'Neill for women at least (don't know your gender) for $250. That's where my gf ordered hers (I think she got the last size 4 they had).

Back
Top Bottom