mares regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOG-SPLITTER

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some feed back on these regs?My LDS carries these and wanted to know how these stand up VS the zeagles,apex,atomics,and oceanics.

Does anyone own one and if so do you recomend them?

Thx to all who give there time to help me out! means allot.
Thx

I biught my daughter a R2. It works well and she likes it. I intend to buy her one of the MR12 models as a present.

Good luck.

garyfotodiver:
I biught my daughter a R2. It works well and she likes it. I intend to buy her one of the MR12 models as a present.

Good luck.

Any reason she wants to switch to the MR12? The reason I ask is because I am looking at buying an R2 for my daughter.

Thanks

I own and dive with a number of different regs from various manufacturers. Mares regs are very good products that are priced fairly. They are robust, easy to service, and are found literally around the world.

Even the least expensive Rebel models are more than adequate for typical sport dives. If you are choosing to do more advanced dives, then I would look at the Proton series of regs, or the Abyss model.

I use MR12 Akros regs for much of my cave and technical diving needs. I also own and use two different Proton models for my single tank dives. I have been servicing Mares products for nearly a decade. In addition to diving with my five Mares regs, I use the Apeks DS4/TX50, and it too, is a fine product.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

LOG-SPLITTER:
Can anyone give me some feed back on these regs?My LDS carries these and wanted to know how these stand up VS the zeagles,apex,atomics,and oceanics.

Does anyone own one and if so do you recomend them?

Thx to all who give there time to help me out! means allot.
Thx

The warmer the water, the happier they are. Saw one (Dacor, actually, but made after merging with Mares) freeflow the other day just about the second it hit the water, which was in the low 50s, no other regs of other brands had problems at all that day. But in warmer water, they breathe well even without adjustments on the second stage, and I've never noticed problems with their stiffer hoses...possibly because I've used them more than any others so I'm expecting that anyhow.

I have the Mares Abyss and took it through couple hundred dives ranging from warm water to the North Atlantic in the winter when the salt water becomes slush. It always performed flawlessly and never freeflowed. Excellent breather regardless how deep or how cold and very solidly built.
I also have a couple of Apeks, a Poseidon and dove a Scubapro as well. While they are all great regs, I like my Abyss most.

UB:
Any reason she wants to switch to the MR12? The reason I ask is because I am looking at buying an R2 for my daughter.

Thanks

Besides the fact that I cannot spell, I bought the R2 because it is simple, reliable, and inexpensive. She will dive whatever I provide for her; she is not an equipment horse. She has taken the R2 to 70+ feet and it works well.

I'd like her to have an extra regulator, so I'll put together another with the MR12 as the base.

I just took my MR12 Proton into 52 degree fresh water water. Preformed just as well as 80 degree salt water. Great reg for a fair price. I might add that I dont take as good care as I would like of this reg. It bounces around sometime hitting the tank and other things, hasnt broken yet... althrough I only had it for 6 months with about 24 dives on it.

I bought my Mares Abyss this summer. It's been a great regulator so far, measuring up to demanding Alaska diving. I like the fact that it is very robust with a simple second stage (no knobs).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom