Mares R2 Rebel Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for feedback on the "Mares R2 Rebel Regulator". I am thinking of buying it for my daughter who is a junior scuba diver for some beach and shallow (100ft max) dives off of Florida. I am having trouble finding information on it (even on the Mares website)

Is it environmentally sealed? Is an “environmentally sealed” regulator a good idea for beach diving?

Is it good for winter Florida diving when the water temperature can reach somewhere in the 60F?

Thanks

Is it environmentally sealed? Is an “environmentally sealed” regulator a good idea for beach diving?

The R2 is an unbalanced piston first stage. It is not environmentally sealed, and Mares does not produce the parts to do so. It is a simple, easy to service design that is mechanically similar to the ScubaPro MKII that is so popular. The second stage features a VAD by-pass tube that has proven to be very effective for such an inexpensive design. The reg is essentially the same model as the discontinued Axis variety. My dive buddies and I have used this reg for over five years on our deco bottles. I also did a simple experiment some years back where I tried my best to overbreathe a R2 Axis at 110'. I couldn't sense any problem no matter how hard and fast I breathed.

Is it good for winter Florida diving when the water temperature can reach somewhere in the 60F?

This style of reg is perfectly fine for water down to around 50 degrees. The flow rate of the first stage is so low that adiabatic cooling is not really an issue. As with any unsealed piston first stage, sediment in the amibent water can create some issues, so careful and thorough rinsing is very important.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Just to add, in your situation, the sediment will be replaced with "salt". Just make sure that you rinse it thoroughly after every dive to ensure that the salt crystalization is minimal.

Hi, is it ok to completely immerse the rebel first stage in fresh water for rinsing when it is not under pressure?

Hi, is it ok to completely immerse the rebel first stage in fresh water for rinsing when it is not under pressure?

Yes. Just make sure the 1st stage dust cap is on :D Then give it a good fresh water soak. Just be sure not to depress the purge button on the 2nd stage if the the 1st stage is not pressurized while soaking as this could allow water to enter via the 2nd stage demand valve and travel up the hose to the fist stage....

I soak all my regs, 1st & 2nd stage, with no problems. Just be careful about the dust cap and purge as mentioned above.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom