Mares Quattro Power full foot fins?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been diving with Mares Quattro Power full foot fins since I became an instructor. After 4000+ dives they have finally gone to that great gear bag in the sky. The problem is they don’t make them any more. I have tried a lot of different fins trying to find a substitute but nothing comes close, not even the new Quattro excel. Their ok if you don’t have to swim in a current, fast, or help someone.

Does anyone know anywhere I can find a couple pairs of size 8-9 for sale?!?! You can send me an e-mail at d3aryn@hotmail.com

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Daryn and Mike,

We are going to be offering the great Quattro Power full foot fin again. We are expecting to begin delivering this fin to dive stores in the U.S. and Canada by the end of Jan 07.

You may want to wait?

Zak OHara:
Daryn and Mike,

We are going to be offering the great Quattro Power full foot fin again. We are expecting to begin delivering this fin to dive stores in the U.S. and Canada by the end of Jan 07.

You may want to wait?
Woo hoo!

Thanks Zak.. sign me up...

That's good to know. They are good fins!!!

What's the reason(s) why Mares thought about discontinuing it?

I don't have the reasons but I'm glad were bringing it back.

<< We are going to be offering the great Quattro Power full foot fin again. We are expecting to begin delivering this fin to dive stores in the U.S. and Canada by the end of Jan 07. >>

Great news! I've never used anything else and don't want to. I was starting to wonder whether I'd have to quit diving and take up golf ...
eek.gif

Daryn:
I have been diving with Mares Quattro Power full foot fins since I became an instructor. After 4000+ dives they have finally gone to that great gear bag in the sky. The problem is they don&#8217;t make them any more. I have tried a lot of different fins trying to find a substitute but nothing comes close, not even the new Quattro excel. Their ok if you don&#8217;t have to swim in a current, fast, or help someone...

Daryn,

I have done a lot of research over the years on swim fin design, and came up with the concept of the "scoop" fin in 1968. I have spent some time evaluating different designs, including the flat blade of the older Plana fins. The scoop fin design out-performs the

PlanaPlusExperiment.jpg

These three fins have the exact same blade, the Plana Plus Graphite blade. They are all full-foot fins. But in one, I've made the split fin modification. In another (with the toe cut out--it had ripped and I needed this to ensure the whole foot pocket would not rip away), I have the scoop modification. The third is the original paddle fin flat blade.

I put this information onto the web at the Vintage Scuba Supply thread.

Years ago, I wrote to Mares explaining the concept, and hoping that they would produce a fin with the "scoop" desing. They finally have, in the form of the Quatro Excel fin.

What I'm saying is that what you are feeling that the scoop design doesn't hold up in current is probably not correct. It feels easier, but the amount of water moved is much greater, which gives more power in current than other fins. I have used my own, home-made variety of the Quatro Excel for years. My most recent version is shown below:
BackofAvantiScoop.jpg

PlanaAvantiScoop.jpg

Here is a photo of my research in 1971:
VikingMod-3.jpg

So before you buy the Quattro Power, make a comparison. I have yet to try the actual Quattro Excel, but they are now on order (my Christmas present). I'll give a report when I get them, probably sometime in January. Barring something unforeseen, I expect the Quattro Excel to be the best production fin I have ever used.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom