Mares Puck Pro Wrist Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Puck Pro gets the job done for rec diving. I highly recommend it. The single button has not been an issue for me, though that bothers some. When you get below 3-5 feet it turns on automatically, and I don't touch it after that unless I need to activate the back light. Everything I need is on the main screen once it turns on.

The resale value is also good. You can look at ebay for current resale prices, but they are not much below leisurepro's new price.

I had to replace my battery after 41 dives. The battery is user replaceable. The battery can be bought at most any hardware store.

It also does nitrox, as well as switching between two different mixes.

If you want to get a good, solid rec computer, the Puck Pro is a good choice, especially at the price you stated. I have no regrets about buying mine.

There is nothing fancy about the link cable. As stated above, it works. If you want to upload you dive data, you just have to suck up the cost. I save my dive data on Subsurface and it works great with that platform. There is a thread on scubaboard somewhere that discusses how to DIY your own interface cable, if that's your thing.

Waste of money. Spend the $50.00 on something useful.
$129.00 for a brand new computer is pretty good. You have to decide if your gf needs one.

Having logs transferred at a touch of a button: priceless.

The Puck Pro +, The Smart, The Quad, and The Quad Air all work with the new Blu Link.

Having logs transferred at a touch of a button: priceless.
Paying $50.00 or more for a cable to transfer the data to other devices! Never regret a single second over last 20yrs for not having a cable for my Aladin.

I have two of those. For recreational diving that is the only computer you will need. Anything else that you buy is basically a Mares Puck with cosmetics and looks etc.

There is one reason to buy a different computer than the puck. The Mares Puck runs RGBM (Reduced Gradient Bubble Model) algorithm. This is the same algorithm that you will find in most recreational computers like Suunto and Cressi Leonardos etc. The algorithm was developed at a time when the decompression community was split between Dissolved Gas models and Bubble control models. The RGBM attempted to incorporate both theories into the same dive so it was a dual phase model.

During the initial ascent phase it would give deep stops which would satisfy those who believed in bubble control models and that is why it gets the BM in its name. After deep stops it would control the rest of the ascent on dissolved gas models but reduce their gradient meaning your stops would be longer. For the recreational diver this means that this was too conservative on repetitive dives like from liveaboards etc.

Modern decompression theory is slowly moving away from Bubble Mechanics models so the deep stops are no longer in use as much as they used to be. Gradient factors are still around though GF lo tends to be higher.

Keeping this in mind I think a better choice would be a computer that runs Buhlmann with gradient factors. Technical diving computers always have that but I do not know of a single recreational diving computer that has Buhlmann with pre determined GF settings for recreational divers.

Unless this particular issue is of importance to you the only computer you will need is the Mares Puck. If it is an issue that you then you would have to jump straight to entry level tech computers.

I have two of those. For recreational diving that is the only computer you will need. Anything else that you buy is basically a Mares Puck with cosmetics and looks etc.

There is one reason to buy a different computer than the puck. The Mares Puck runs RGBM (Reduced Gradient Bubble Model) algorithm. This is the same algorithm that you will find in most recreational computers like Suunto and Cressi Leonardos etc. The algorithm was developed at a time when the decompression community was split between Dissolved Gas models and Bubble control models. The RGBM attempted to incorporate both theories into the same dive so it was a dual phase model.

During the initial ascent phase it would give deep stops which would satisfy those who believed in bubble control models and that is why it gets the BM in its name. After deep stops it would control the rest of the ascent on dissolved gas models but reduce their gradient meaning your stops would be longer. For the recreational diver this means that this was too conservative on repetitive dives like from liveaboards etc.

Modern decompression theory is slowly moving away from Bubble Mechanics models so the deep stops are no longer in use as much as they used to be. Gradient factors are still around though GF lo tends to be higher.

Keeping this in mind I think a better choice would be a computer that runs Buhlmann with gradient factors. Technical diving computers always have that but I do not know of a single recreational diving computer that has Buhlmann with pre determined GF settings for recreational divers.

Unless this particular issue is of importance to you the only computer you will need is the Mares Puck. If it is an issue that you then you would have to jump straight to entry level tech computers.

Thanks for the thorough explanation! I don't recall ever doing more than two dives a day and at this point in my life if I do a third dive it will probably be a shallow shore dive in which case I probably won't be very worried about residual nitrogen. We are in our mid 60s and never push the limits so the conservative settings on the Puck are appealing. Mainly my girlfriend is a bit stunned that with her basic PADI OW certification the dive ops think nothing of taking her considerably deeper than 60 feet. This way she will be able to see that they aren't trying to get business for the hyperbaric chamber :wink: The funny thing about that is that she has sat right next to the one on Calle 6 Norte twice, but both times it was because of ear problems. It didn't look as scary as she may have imagined, especially with all the cute fishes painted all over it :wink:

If we do decide we need a Buhlmann computer in the future at least I will not have spent a lot on this one and it could always be used for backup etc.

So far nobody that we have dived with has required a computer but we don't choose the thrill-seeking kinds of dives.

For the recreational diver this means that this was too conservative on repetitive dives like from liveaboards etc.
I've been using a puck for many years. There are issues that complicate repetitive dives on mares rgbm. Yes, repetitive dives do become too conservative. The real problem, though, is that the computer behavior will largely be unpredictable on these repetitive dives and/or during dives that slide a few minutes into deco.

A very real scenario is that you'll be on a second dive diving a plan very familiar to you with your bottom timer and tables. The puck will say it is too aggressive and it will throw you into deco. How much deco? Who knows. It is a closed algorithm and it will not be easy to predict, thus it will not be easy to plan how much gas you'll need to keep the computer happy.

Furthermore, if the puck wants you to do a deco stop at 10ft for 5 mins, then you better be at 10ft. If you stop at 15ft because conditions at 10ft are too uncomfortable, the computer will still say you need 5 mins deco but the real time minutes will be more like 8 or 9 minutes. Again, there is no easy way to predict how much real time you will need to clear that deco or how deep into your gas reserves you'll have to go in order to keep the computer happy.

Let's say you decide you will not comply with the unreasonable deco obligations the puck wants from you because you do have your table for this dive and you've done it many times without any ill consequence. Now your puck has blocked you out and you've lost access to your tissue loading information. If you have another upcoming dive in less than 24 hours, your puck will only work as a bottom timer and it will remain blocked until you leave it alone for at least another 24 hours.

Last edited:
BTW the Puck works great as a bottom timer and it is not priced much higher than digital bottom timers - in many cases you can find it priced below bottom timers.

I think if you aim to do deco dives planned on tables or planner software, you buy a tech computer with the algorithm matching your dive planner.

In our next installment: how to use a screwdriver instead of a hammer on screws, and how to fit round pegs in round holes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom