Mares Puck Pro dive computer is now $139. Sure, I don't even have my own fins yet, but why not right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie L

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When you're a budget backpacker-diver who is traveling light and renting all the bulky gear from the dive ops, a great deal on a dive computer is a no-brainer...right??

Tell me if I'm doing this backwards

I'm gearing up for my third international diving trip which will involve 2-3 dives/day over 3-4 days, followed by a short stint of backpacker style solo traveling. I'll be going to Cozumel, but really just for the diving, then leaving for Tulum and probably somewhere else TBD that's off the tourist track a bit. This seems to be the main kind of diving I'll expect to be doing since it's more efficient for me than diving locally and I enjoy this kind of travel.

I am bringing my own mask and snorkel. It would seem that a wetsuit and scuba fins should be my next purchases, but they're bulky for a backpacker to carry, I don't really know what kind I would want, and so far I've always rented. That's been fine, would be nice to have my own quality fins/wetsuit when I can afford good ones but not having to transport them is a perk. (However, I was considering bringing the lightweight snorkel fins that I already for non-diving days cause they are so light and flat)

I just saw the Mares Puck Pro on sale for $139 at LeisurePro and $144 on some other dive site. I've never seen a deal that good, otherwise a computer would be out of my budget. It seems like having my own computer would be great for repetitive diving, plus it's something I can bring no matter how light I'm traveling.

I don't have the budget for a good wetsuit, good fins, AND a dive computer. Should I jump on this deal, buy some neoprene booties, and worry about buying a wetsuit and fins later? It seems like a great buy, but it also seems weird to own a computer but not my own fins, so maybe I should focus on those first. Then again, it's easier to learn to use a dive op's in-house fins than it is to learn a new computer every time.

It's a good price, but I don't like the mares puck because it only has one button. Some people don't care about it though. I used to have a Mares Puck long time ago. Was so happy when I went to something else...

The AL i300 is now under $200 while they clearance out the non-bluetooth versions.

my first dive computer was the Mares Puck Pro.
it was a great computer and I would jump on it!
once you are in the water the 1 button doesn't matter as your display is doing the dive info.
I would go for it if I were you.

Fins are fins for what you do, but the computer as you said will allow you to track your gas and your SI. I'd get the computer way before the rest.

I have a Puck pro. I have never had to touch the button underwater. Activating the backlight is probably the most common reason why somebody would have to. It's a good price. It gets the job done. I'd buy mine again.
If you don't like it, you can resell it on eBay for $70-100 dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom