Mares Puck or spend a bit more for a Suunto Zoop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thegrandpoohbah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are strictly recreational divers and will only get to dive once or twice a year, maybe 8-16 dives total. We already have masks, snorkels, fins and wetsuits. Would a couple of inexpensive dive computers be a good idea? Not looking to spend more than $300 CAD or so each. Have been looking at the Mares Puck for $219 and the Suunto Zoop for $300. Looks like the Zoop is pretty popular. For our intended use is there any benefit in spending the extra $81?

They are pretty much the same, basic dive computers...

One button or three, I prefer the one button so the Puck
Puck does Air, Nitrox and bottom timer, Zoop Air and nitrox
Both are user replicable batteries
Zoop is very conservative in dive profiles, Puck is not so conservative.

Given the price difference the Puck seems to be a good choice.

What ever you get read the manual and consider an on-line tutorial Dive Computer Training. I have seen to many people on dives that have no idea how to use their computer and then it is becoming a hazard. They have the expectation that the DM will know.

I have decided on the Puck as a standard for my family as it is low cost, easy to use, does Nitrox. I have 7 of them.

Benefit? Probably not. I like the Zoop due to larger size and fits in a DSS bungee mount.

I prefer the puck, as I do not like the buttons on the Zoop. Hard to press, even harder with gloves on.

If the Puck Pro is within your budget, I'd get that. The one button thing is a non-issue.

Great thing about the puck pro is you can set the backlight to be on continuously (you can manually turn off by pressing the button, and on again by doing the same)

It's great for night dives, especially during safety stops, as you do not have to either shine your light on it, or repeatedly press the button to turn on the light.

The batteries can be changed yourself, and are very cheap and easy to replace.

IMO that's not very much diving to justify purchasing multiple computers. Given that you haven't dives much (at least according to your profile) and you don't plan on diving much either, your diving is probably driven by your air consumption and not your NDL. In that case, computers aren't entirely necessary. You can always rent too.

That was actually my next question: is a computer even worth bothering with at this point? All of our diving will be guided dives with reputable outfits. Do they generally let you dive to your computer limits or will it be a case where everyone in the group surfaces as soon as the first person gets low on air?

That was actually my next question: is a computer even worth bothering with at this point? All of our diving will be guided dives with reputable outfits. Do they generally let you dive to your computer limits or will it be a case where everyone in the group surfaces as soon as the first person gets low on air?

In guided group diving, unless all seasoned divers, it has been my experience low air generally ends the dive before reaching anywhere near NDL limits.

As a diver you should be aware of your depth, time and planned NDL. When you hire your gear it may include a computer or a depth gauge. If it has a computer you do not need to provide one, but you should be familiar with its operation. If they only provide a depth gauge you should have some form of timer, a quality watch (does not have to be expensive but must not leak).

Your dive profile over a series of repetitive dives is important, not just the current dive, and this may be over a number of days. You may dive with different groups and different leaders so you will have an individual profile. You can use tables and repetitive dive profiles but will need log depth, times and durations. If the gear you hired has a computer you need to keep that computer for the repetitive dives and no one else can use that computer, or you need to be using tables.

If you have your own computer you are covered for the watch as the computer will keep the times... it will also keep YOUR dive profile. If you buy the down-load-cable then you can down load the dives to your home/portable computer and use to complete your logbook.

For $219 I would get a computer and learn to use it.

Most resorts I've been to in the Caribbean charge between $10/20 per day to rent a computer. So you'd be buying one every second trip.

I don't see a lot of wrist computers as rentals either - most either seem to be in consoles or have some sort of hose clip. Most dive computer software does all sorts of calculations on the data as well as logging your dives. The flipside is that the download cable is often up to $100 more - they make them just proprietary enough so there's no generic option.

I like the Zoop - although I own it's predecessor - the Gekko. I don't find the lack of a backlight an issue 3-4X for night diving - just shine my light at it - but I like the legibility of the Gekko/Zoop better for the 20 day dives I'll also do in a week.

If you're comfortable with LeisurePro's equivalent warranty instead of Suunto's they're selling the Zoop for $225. It means you likely have to send it back to them for warranty service if needed since LP is not a Aqualung/Suunto authorized dealer. Aqua Lung US - Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer

Suunto Zoop Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer

There's also the Puck Pro for $220. LP is an authorized Mares dealer Mares Puck Pro Wrist Computer

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom