Mares Puck Air vs wrist mounted computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nickscott18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at getting a dive computer, as my regs only have an individual SPG at the moment. I am a new diver, so some of these questions may seem a bit obvious. The four computers that I am looking at, in my price range are the mares puck air, Sunto Zoop, and Aeris XR1.

In regards to a watch mounted computer (keeping the existing SPG) vs hose mounted, is there any real benefits to either, apart from personal preference. My thoughts on it have been that wrist mounted is it is another item that could go missing when diving, (ie fall off), but then is always on your had, therefore could be easier to access.

In regards to the models listed, is there drawbacks of an air integrated computer, (only one that springs to mind is flat battery, but I will be keeping spare batteries with me), and for a new diver is it worth spending the extra money on the Suunto or Mares. Also if anyone has any other recomendations on computers to look at that would be good, just tying to buy the right gear first off.

Quote from my answer to another post below. FWIW, my son just bought a Zoop and we think it was a great buy.

First dive with my computer, (Veo 2.0) I wore it on my left wrist. Second one, I moved it to the right. Why? Because I quickly found that the use of my inflator interfered with info acquisition form the computer when it was on the same side. If you want to monitor depth from the computer while managing buoyancy with your BCD, better to do it on different sides. If your only info is in the console, it is on the same side. In addition, my console contains SPG, depth, and compass. If my wrist computer fails, I have the analogue depth gauge for backup, and vice versa.

Ah sweet, that something I hadn't thought of, is having some of the instrumentation on my right hand side. Any other thoughts on the matter.

i just bought the mares puck air integrated why? it was cheap(thinking in buying AI wireless computer in the future) and i have the information i just one place, otherwise you will have to look at your wrist and then to your gage to see you air, with the mares puck ai just look in one place, i have it hooked to my left shoulder with a gear keeper and when i just whant to look at it y just pull it then you just release it very easy...

Thanks for the input, I have ended up buying a Zoop, after deciding that if I had my computer fail, I would like to still have a display of air left, so that I can ascend knowing how much air is remaining.

Thanks for the input, I have ended up buying a Zoop, after deciding that if I had my computer fail, I would like to still have a display of air left, so that I can ascend knowing how much air is remaining.

A lot of safety conscious divers use a wireless AI computer and connect a small backup SPG to the other HP port, which takes care of the issue. I believe this system is actually safer for the rec diver as it gives the tank pressure in the computer display, making it less likely to neglect a low air situation.

Adam

A lot of safety conscious divers use a wireless AI computer and connect a small backup SPG to the other HP port, which takes care of the issue. I believe this system is actually safer for the rec diver as it gives the tank pressure in the computer display, making it less likely to neglect a low air situation.

Adam

Ah, ok that is how it can be done. I will be sure to keep this in mind when diving however, and not let it slip the mind to check air. It is a usefull thought however.

Ah, ok that is how it can be done. I will be sure to keep this in mind when diving however, and not let it slip the mind to check air. It is a usefull thought however.

A common mistake of novice divers is to underestimate the air consumption when diving deep. For example at 100 ft the pressure is 4 atm so your effective minute ventilation is 4 times the SAC, so instead of 80 cu ft tank you effectively have a 20--the size of a pony bottle, which does not last very long. It's very easy to neglect to check your air and find you're low or run out.

Adam

A common mistake of novice divers is to underestimate the air consumption when diving deep. For example at 100 ft the pressure is 4 atm so your effective minute ventilation is 4 times the SAC, so instead of 80 cu ft tank you effectively have a 20--the size of a pony bottle, which does not last very long. It's very easy to neglect to check your air and find you're low or run out.

Adam
Ok, I will keep that in mind, and also be keeping track of air consumption as I do more diving (I was consuming a lot during the course dives, it would be good to see that reduce). It is something that I have had hammered into me (for good reason) every dive I have done, is keep an eye on your air supply, and it was becoming habit by the end of the dive course. Also I will keep it in mind for future, and upgrade to an air integrated watch at some point.
Thanks for the useful input, all input from more experienced divers is useful.
Nick

nick must have been reading my mind when he started this thread, because i have been looking at the same units (puck air, zoop and vyper). but where nick was looking into wrist computers, i was looking at the puck in comparison to the zoop/vyper mounted on a console with a pressure gauge. was leaning towards the zoop or vyper, but as i will be traveling/flying with typical gear, continue to have second thoughts. the puck air seems to be the best (most efficient) choice for the bag. there is a lot of information out there about the zoot (and vyper), and it is all good. less info about the puck air. but the price is so good for an integrated unit. even though nick has completed his purchase, i am interested in further opinions about this, including the user friendliness of the puck air for a beginner. i'm not in any particular hurry to pull the trigger on this one.
thanks,
rc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom