Mares Proton Ice Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello is this a decent reg to start tech diving with, Scuba toys has one for 300 bucks. It says its u.s navy standards?
Chris

Chris Crash,regardless of what you think of me, take my advice on this one. DO NOT BUY the proton ice. Its no longer sold. Plus you will loss your warrenty. Just bescause something is cheap doesnt mean its the best. Now you 16 years old, and starting tech. Im guessing Adv. Nitrox. Tech is not cheap, so pay the money and get something good. Yes, that reg. is good but obviously they dont sell it anymore for a reason. I dive with the Mares Proton Ice Extreme. And its as good as Scuba Pro,Apeks etc etc. First of all ive never dove with you so im not going to say wait, because im 16 and im already done that. So all im saying because im going diving:):) is just take your time, and pay the money. If you dont have it, save up because for tech your going to need lots of regs and bottle, can light,BP/W,Dry suit and the list keeps going on. Im already 120000 into it. Got a good job:p
Thatcher

TAD - That sounds like sound advice. Deliberate, calcuated steps and making sure to invest in sound life support equipment. BTW, thanks for the opinion on the Ice, I've seen them around but since we don't ever deal with that kind of cold water here in FL its a peice of insight I wouldn't have otherwise have had. :)

There is nothing wrong with the Proton Ice - it is an excellent piece of equipment. Mares has replaced it with the Proton Ice Extreme, which differs little from the Proton Ice, except it has a new "non-stick" coating. The Proton Ice will perform fine for any type of diving - and the all metal construction has many advantages over plastic second stages.

The Proton Ice breathes great.

As far as the warranty, if you buy it from an authorized dealer (and ScubaToys IS an authorized dealer) - you will get full warranty with it.

The advice of going slow into Tech Diving is sound - but the equipment advise is bunk!!!!

ChrisCrash:
Hello is this a decent reg to start tech diving with, Scuba toys has one for 300 bucks. It says its u.s navy standards?
Chris

Another one is taking the expensive plunge into Tech... I know where Peachland is and I understand why your buying your gear online! IMO I would stick with either the Apeks or the Dive Rite regulators. I personally own DS4's and really enjoy them but was very tempted by the Dive Rite regs... The initial cost of the Regs are very reasonable and the re-build kits are easy to come by and with some very inexpensive tools you could (in theory) service your own gear and that could be important to someone who doesn't have many Dive Stores close. Many people will tell you NOT to go for the Dive Rite's and stick with the Apeks and Scuba Pros. But if you ever get a chance to dive the DR try it out for yourself, see what you personally think.

Enjoy

The Mares Proton Ice is an excellent regulator. It has simply been replaced by the Extreme model. The quoted price is very reasonable, and Scuba Toys is a recognized dealer by Mares.

I dive with both Apeks and Mares regs, and have been servicing Mares regs for several years. They are a high quality product that sells for a fair market price. As far as technical diving goes, my Mares MR12 regs have been excellent performers for the bulk of my cave and wreck diving over the last five years. I use the discontinued Akros second stages on my doubles, but own two different Proton regs.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Mares regs are great regs. I dive a Mares Abyss and a Proton metal as a octo.
Both are great breathers. I think metal regs are better than plastic ones especially if you dive cold water. I dive mine in 38 degree water and never had a problem.

CBulla:
Aren't the metal regs better for retaining some breathing moisture and reducing the effects of dry mouth as well?

I have found that is the case. I take medication that makes me prone to dry mouth and it was much worse when using a plastic second stage and since I started to use a metal second stage, it seems to be much less noticable.

So what would be a good reg to go with? Dive rite, Apeks the new mares. All Of them? If so what models and where to buy from.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom