Mares Proton Ice; any recommendation/feedback on this reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddavid

Contributor
Reaction score
hi, apologies if there has already been a similar post on this previously, i was out regulator shopping past weekend & one of the LDS was recommending i get the proton ice; it sure looks unique; ice-blue and everything, and its got the highly rated V32 first stage.

However when i got back & surfed the Mares international website, there's no mention of the proton ice, rather there's a proton "ice extreme" which is all black in color.

Hope to get advice on the following;
a. is the ice extreme the replacement model for the proton ice?
b. if the proton ice is discontinued, any reason why? (it had problems etc?)
b. any feedback/recommendation on the blue proton ice; is it a good & reliable reg set?

Thank you very much.. - ddavid

ddavid:
hi, apologies if there has already been a similar post on this previously, i was out regulator shopping past weekend & one of the LDS was recommending i get the proton ice; it sure looks unique; ice-blue and everything, and its got the highly rated V32 first stage.

However when i got back & surfed the Mares international website, there's no mention of the proton ice, rather there's a proton "ice extreme" which is all black in color.

Hope to get advice on the following;
a. is the ice extreme the replacement model for the proton ice?
b. if the proton ice is discontinued, any reason why? (it had problems etc?)
b. any feedback/recommendation on the blue proton ice; is it a good & reliable reg set?

Thank you very much.. - ddavid

There is no problem with any of the proton series... they just like making subtle changes to keep the line fresh. They coupled the black plastic proton with a MR12, then a V16 - then added a little blue dot on it and called it the Proton XL, then a Metal version, the limited edition in black metal, the V32 proton Ice, not put a seal on it, make it black again and call it the extreme... but over all... they are really the same reg throughout.

The first stages change, and the V16 and above are really all about the same... same seats - just different hose routing.

So if you like the blue color - go with it... nothing wrong with the reg at all.. we're still selling them over here.

thanks Larry, i didnt know all that info abt subtle changes to pretty much the same model..
i'm basically aiming for a small proton metal 2nd stage coupled with the V32 first stage, but strangely here in singapore, they don't sell this combo, the only way to get the V32 here is to buy it in a set with the proton ice 2nd stage.. otherwise the normal proton metal comes in a box with V16.. and the LDS wldnt allow me to buy it separately.. oh well, i'll keep searching.. thanks for the information, have a good day. - ddavid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom