mares prestige problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vincerice12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i have had several problems on dives were the exhalation diaphragm has become distorted allowing water to enter the regulator during inspiration phase. Regulators were recently serviced and this did not solve the problem. Any ideas / solutions to my problem

Yes mentioned to the service engineer who replaced diaphragm. Seems to happen in any position. I thought initually it was leaving the regulators exposed to the hot sun but tried keeping them out of the sun and even tried pouring cool freshwater on them. What i did notice was tgat the prestige regulators have an exhalation slot had four spokes to hold diaphragm were another similar model the rover had eight spokes supporting the diaphragm.

The spokes are there only to hold the diaphragm in place. the number should not affect the seal unless damaged.
Is it possible that the water might be entering from any other spot? A small hole in the inhalation diaphragm or mouthpiece could also cause leakage.

You can test this out by inhaling through the second stage with the first stage opening sealed. Make sure the dust cap is in place or put it on a tank but do not turn on the air. when you inhale you should not have any air leaking into the second stage but if you do you may be able to locate the leak.

No there are no holes anywhere else the diaphragm actually creases as if shrinking and folds through one of the spokes

If you try the test mentioned previously- trying to breath through the sealed regulator and do not get air leakage then the diaphragm should not get sucked in when in the water.
I have seen some exhaust diaphragms that have been exposed to chlorine from swimming pools deform when in the water but if a new one was installed when serviced even that should not be the problem.

Not sure if this will help as they should have been addressed when serviced, but some other thoughts might be;
incorrect diaphragm installed- either too small or to thin.
damaged exhaust area- broken spoke.

Hope you can find the cause.

Thanks Dean will contact the service engineer again and get him to replace diaphragm. Just thought I would check with the community to see if anyone else had the same problem

Thanks Dean will contact the service engineer again and get him to replace diaphragm. Just thought I would check with the community to see if anyone else had the same problem

Hi,

Just come back from a 5 day diving holiday in the Isle of Man & suffered exactly the same problem you describe with my Mares Prestige reg: getting mouthfuls of water with my air.

At first I thought perhaps my air wasn't fully on & had the boat skipper check it as I pulled alongside & then tried to go down again, to no avail & had to cancel the dive :-(

An experienced diver took a look & just as you said the diaphragm was 'dimpled in' in one place. An expert poke with a finger put it right & he likewise advised testing it with the air off & checking that it did not breathe.

The reg is only 8 months old & this is the first problem I've had. I thought it might be due to a somewhat ungainly giant-stride entry but the experienced diver indicated even then it should not have happened & advised I contact Mares but I cant find any contact point for these kind of support queries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom