Mares MR52

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can anyone confirm if the Mares MR52 is Nitrox compatible out of the box?

I know there is a Nitrox version that is compatible with up to 100% O2 but that is overkill for me as I not planning on using it for more than 40%.

Mares website MR52 - 1st Stage - Mares has some coding stating

INT - DIN - NX

I am assuming the NX means Nitrox

Thanks in advance

I don't know for this specific regulator, but here in Thailand they put just any regulator on Nitrox without problems.
On the normal recreational Nitrox on a normal Regulator (if you exclude Chinese copies) nothing can happen. But it might not be legal in every country.

My understanding is that "standard" o-rings are fine up to 40% nitrox, thus all current regulators are fine up to 40% nitrox. However, if you plan to use higher concentrations of oxygen, viton o-rings are needed and the reg needs to have been specially "oxygen-cleaned".

See this older thread in the Mares forum regarding an MR-42:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mares-just-add-water/354088-mares-equipment-nitrox-cold-water.html

I believe the confusion comes from EU vs USA standards and/or definitions regarding "nitrox". I think when you see a regulator labeled as "Nitrox", and it has the green purge cover, possibly green hoses, green trim on 1st stage, etc., it actually means "oxygen cleaned" from the factory, and suitable for use on deco bottles.

Some regs come oxygen-cleaned and ready, without the "green stuff" and "Nitrox" labels plastered all over them.

If you are concerned, I would post a question in the Mares forum, but up to 40% nitrox you should be fine with any of the Mares regs (and any other reg you can think of).

Best wishes.

Many thanks for confirming what I believed initially, although I have now ended up buying a pair of ScubaPro Mk25s specifically for use with my doubles as the MR22 first stage has an awkward hose routing that makes turning off the valve on the right post a bit of a hassle especially if the valve is tight.

I was not sure if the MR52 would be easier as there is no DIN version here locally to check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom